PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop fonts turn black in gnome-shell (ubuntu 12.04)

rrich1974
April 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
last night i installed gnome-shell from official repository, it works fine but i encounter a small problem: i have noticed that the fonts of the desktop icons have suddenly turned black...the initial colour was white. i am using gnome-shell 3.4.
i have had the same problem while using gnome shell in fedora 17 (previous year)....i think the problem is embedded in gnome shell. i don't have this issue in unity 3D.
a logoff and log back in solved the problem.
other than that, gnome shell woks damn good! i love it!
what can it be?

PS. i will post a screenshot as soon as the issue will appear again! thanx!

rrich1974
April 21st, 2013, 03:31 PM
now, the title bar of the windows are black...as you can see in the screenshot.

Frogs Hair
April 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM
I have seen this in the Gnome Shell only when mixing themes, meaning the title bar theme is different from the GTK theme. It does not occur with all themes though.

rrich1974
April 21st, 2013, 06:17 PM
but i can tell you that i did not change a thing. i just installed gnome shell from USC in ubuntu 12.04 unity.

later edit:
honestly, i am afraid to install gnome-tweak-tools and change tha theme because i dont know how this will interfere to unity.

sammiev
April 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM
I use gnome-tweak-tools and had no issues with gnome-shell or unity.

rrich1974
April 21st, 2013, 07:00 PM
thanx o lot man, but i ask you, if you change a theme in gnome shell, how that change will affect unity?

in the end, after i installed gnome-tweak-tool it seems that when you change the theme in gnome-shell it also change in unity.

Frogs Hair
April 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM
Unity will share themes with the gnome shell and vise versa . Restarting the shell will sometimes help after a theme change if the theme is not displying properly. Alt + F2
r If you download and install themes make sure they are compatable with your version of the shell, in 12.04 that would be 3.4.

sammiev
April 21st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Here is another screen shot but using unity with the same settings as gnome-shell using FF20 and FF23 in reverse order this time from my last shot.

rrich1974
April 23rd, 2013, 08:48 AM
yesterday, i changed the theme from ambiance to adwita (default gnome)....so far, it works good. i look forward to see what is going on in the next days!

rrich1974
April 24th, 2013, 05:12 PM
today, the problem strikes again.....i am pretty sad because i really like gnome shell. it seems that unity is much more polished than gnome-shell. as you can see, i use default theme!

later edit:
it seems that playing with antialiasing setting solved the problem, without restarting shell, i have set it on grayscale.

richardsdma
October 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM
now, after all this time, the problem still persists.
even if i use gnome shell installed over ubuntu 13.10 (gnome 3.8).
it seems the same problem as it is presented here....i forget to tell you about "chopped" fonts.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=148537
this guy have the same problem and it also has a mobility radeon video card (mine is x1270)
after all, it seems that the problem is specific to ati video cards.