PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Linux can pave the way for better hardware

BuffaloX
July 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Maybe some of you are getting bored, seing posts from me, praising the Amiga from the mid 80's? :D
But the architecture of the hardware was amazingly efficient for its time.
On top of that the OS was very sophisticated, compared to DOS on PC and MAC system (n), with it's pseudo multitasking and lack of memory management.
The Amiga had all features of the PC and MAC put together, and then some.

Switching to MAC for some DTP work I had to do at the time, then to Windows, because the MAC was simply too closed. I was very frustrated with the platform architecture of the PC.
One thing that bothered me a lot was the CPU used in PCs, which was the Intel 386 back then. This CPU is so extremely clumsy to program, that the 68000 used in Amiga and MAC seemed as easy as basic in comparison.

Even the newest AMD64 generation is still limitid to 3 general registers to work with. The 68000 had a whopping 16 general registers in comparison.
Which made it possible to write much better code in assembly.
The Intel architecture we use today is cludge upon cludge.
Structurally inefficient to the extreme, but made reasonably efficient due to sheer horsepower.

Linux is available for many different CPU's, could it be, that maybe some company made a system, based on more modern CPU/system architecture, which was inexpensive and not proprietary.

I wouldn't be surprised if our systems could be about 4 times faster at the same price (same number of transisors and clock speed), as any i386 based architecture, now and in the future. And much more fun to program.

mips
July 11th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It's the old VHS vs Betamax debate, the best product does not always capture the market.

Yeah, Amigas were great, R.I.P.

BuffaloX
July 11th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Yes it would be the old VHS BetaMAX all over again,
But for Linux.

In the old days a hardware vendor had to rely on either their own OS, or someone else making one.
Today it's possible to port Linux...