PDA

View Full Version : Scheme

trivialpackets
March 22nd, 2005, 01:35 AM
Anyone ever used scheme? I'm learning C++ and was told that in the future, they will be teaching scheme for new programmers. Wondering if anyone has tried it, I'm thinking about giving it a spin in my free time and if there's a compiler for it in Ubuntu. I'd look, but I'm no where near Ubunut now. Thanks all.

dcraven
March 22nd, 2005, 02:09 AM
The package called mzscheme is the interpreter you want for Scheme. DrScheme is a somewhat popular dev tool as well. Vim also handles it just fine as I'm sure Emacs does as well.

I learned Scheme and Prolog in an 'alternative' languages course. One functional and one logical. It was a great experience just to see how non-procedural languages work. I suggest it or Lisp for all programmers just for kicks. It's useful, Lisp is especially useful if you are an Emacs user.

Cheers,
~djc

toojays
March 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM
Scheme is very cool, and lots of fun to learn. I highly recommend the SICP book (http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/), it has lots of problem solving techniques which you don't tend to see in C++ books.

The GNU scheme interpreter is in Ubuntu main as guile-1.6. Whatever scheme interpreter you use, you can integrate it into Emacs quite nicely by adding something like
(setq-default scheme-program-name "guile") to your .emacs.