PDA

View Full Version : Never Going Back to Windows

boltzero
April 16th, 2013, 11:41 PM
After the latest install of Ubuntu, I'm never going to go back to using *******.
The installation was quick, easy, and my PC never ran this fast before.
Every piece of hardware was supported by this distro, I didn't have to hunt down drivers for a change.
What I did before the switch is still available on Ubuntu, plus a bunch of others I was unaware of.
Ubuntu is much better than anything ******* has to offer, it's faster, well organized, and best of all - it's free.

papibe
April 17th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

dalpi
April 17th, 2013, 04:27 AM
I thought just like you when I wiped my laptop clean and installed Ubuntu; now I wish I could go back to Windows. The fan is a lot louder than Windows 7. Plus, I can never find a theme that fits my taste; Greybird xfce is the best I found. Plus, encountering bugs is so annoying; why can't everything just work like Windows? Plus, more programs are compatible with Windows. So my advice is to stick with Windows. However, at the same time, Ubuntu is awesome because it's free and I learned a lot about how operating systems work in general.

fortune2008
April 17th, 2013, 05:35 AM
@dalpi the thing is almost all programs have bugs and yes more programs are compatible with windows cause programmers most made software for windows cause of its popularity but now if you noticed times changed and you see support for mac and linux alot now i really like windows but linux is much safer on the other hand :) and freeeeeeee

upskyd
April 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Thats right Ubuntu is free and big thing is that its secure, its for people by people so everything is getting on track slowly, on the other hand, for windows you have to pay a lot of money and still there are bugs. Most of the servers are linux based not windows based. If you like Mac OSX lion theme you can make it happen on ubuntu i did it. there are so many options one can use.
cheers:guitar:
Vik

kurt18947
April 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM
There's nothing says you have to use ALL one or ALL the other. I use *buntu 99% of the time but there is the occasion, usually hardware related where *buntu simply doesn't work. Things like navigation systems come to mind. I have a smallish Windows install that is booted infrequently, usually just to update. But here is an example of why it's handy to have the Win partition. I have one desktop system that if I format a USB drive to FAT32 using Gparted then install a live OS, i get a message. "Boot Error" or similar and it just stops. If I format the same USB drive to FAT32 using Windows then create a live install, it boots fine. Why? I have no idea. The partition created by gparted looks the same as the partition created by Windows but this one BIOS sees some difference.

Warren Hill
April 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
There are still some areas where Windows wins: high end games for example.

This is purely down to market share; but Linux is growing and as a result support is getting much better. I don't use Windows at home any more but there are still some Windows only applications I need for work.

There is nothing wrong with using more than one OS. Best tool for the job and all that.

I don't play games with a PC I use a dedicated games machine PS3 and Wii in my case.

fortune2008
April 18th, 2013, 08:24 PM
@warren did you know steam developed a dedicated client for linux so its a short while before we get those games

Erik1984
April 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Never say never. I love Ubuntu as well but you might start missing features (or rather applications) from Windows sooner or later if you use Ubuntu exclusively (I did that for a while).

monkeybrain2012
April 19th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Never say never. I love Ubuntu as well but you might start missing features (or rather applications) from Windows sooner or later if you use Ubuntu exclusively (I did that for a while).

I like his spirit. :) Why try to pour a cold bucket of water on him? :) I have been using Ubuntu and Fedora exclusively for two years now and never miss anything in WIndows except for a few piece of software which can be handled between Wine and virtualbox.

Some people cannot throw WInodws out of the window because of hardware, but that can be avoided wih some research before buying, now that the OP is aware of Ubuntu and Linux.

lykwydchykyn
April 19th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I like his spirit. :) Why try to pour a cold bucket of water on him? :)

Yeah, no doubt. Time was you'd post something like the OP on a Linux forum and it was all high-fives and "welcome to the club". Nowadays it's "don't be such a zealot" and "You'll regret it". I'm glad attitudes like this weren't around when I switched to Linux (ten years ago).

Come on guys, lighten up; someone has found something that makes him happy. Be happy for him.

CharlesA
April 19th, 2013, 06:38 AM
@warren did you know steam developed a dedicated client for linux so its a short while before we get those games

Depends on the game. I doubt we'll see anything like Tomb Raider or BioShock Infinite on Linux any time soon.

coldraven
April 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM
With Windows it is tempting to run cracked versions of software that you cannot afford and run the risk of trojans or rootkits.
Not that I would ever have done that :)

Now I use Linux all my software is FOSS and legitimate. I have everything that I need and more good stuff is coming soon. (Novacut, Lightworks)

Westonkd
April 21st, 2013, 02:27 AM
Amen, I'm in the same boat.

kevdog
April 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM
If you ever join the real corporate world you'll be using Windows for sure. They'll give you a locked down laptop with office on it, and tell you to use it. You'll be limited to what you can install on it. Other libre or open office formats will not be accepted. PowerPoint will be necessary.

midnightramen
April 22nd, 2013, 04:06 AM
Yeah, no doubt. Time was you'd post something like the OP on a Linux forum and it was all high-fives and "welcome to the club". Nowadays it's "don't be such a zealot" and "You'll regret it". I'm glad attitudes like this weren't around when I switched to Linux (ten years ago).

Come on guys, lighten up; someone has found something that makes him happy. Be happy for him.

There is nothing wrong with going to Linux, but I would not view it as exclusionary. Meaning that it is possible to be both Linux and MS Windows clubs, and not be a pariah in either just for being a part in "the other" club.

lykwydchykyn
April 22nd, 2013, 05:07 AM
If you ever join the real corporate world you'll be using Windows for sure. They'll give you a locked down laptop with office on it, and tell you to use it. You'll be limited to what you can install on it. Other libre or open office formats will not be accepted. PowerPoint will be necessary.

Unless that corporation is Google. Or Red hat. Or Novell, IBM, or Amazon. For all anyone knows, the OP is the CEO of a fortune 500 company, or retired, or a homemaker, or a 13-year-old kid who won't be hitting the workforce for a decade (and who the heck knows what we'll be using then?).

iamkuriouspurpleoranj
April 22nd, 2013, 05:43 AM
@OP - Well done. Good for you.

Welcome to the world where dual-boot means Ubuntu/Fedora or Debian/openSUSE or Mageia/Gentoo.

Switching from Windows to Linux is not like changing provider or brand. It's ditching them altogether. Using Windows at work is permissible because it's done under duress.

Derelinquat fenestras
April 22nd, 2013, 06:05 AM
I will also never go back. I had a total of 4 desktop computers in 2006 and tried a dual install with ubuntu and windows. But eventually my windows crashed and I had to get rid of it. Then another one of the computer's widows crashed and I was able to boot off ubuntu off of a usb and repair the broken system from there. Eventually all of the windows failed me and I was using linux on all systems. I have never looked back or been in so much control of my computer!

Jason Kuzhively
April 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
I hate Ubuntu, the worst Linux Distro ever.

Naygral
April 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
I hate Ubuntu, the worst Linux Distro ever.

Do you want to elaborate why you think it is the worst distro?

llanitedave
April 23rd, 2013, 03:05 AM
Unless that corporation is Google. Or Red hat. Or Novell, IBM, or Amazon. For all anyone knows, the OP is the CEO of a fortune 500 company, or retired, or a homemaker, or a 13-year-old kid who won't be hitting the workforce for a decade (and who the heck knows what we'll be using then?).

Or SpaceX! \\:D/

Jason Kuzhively
April 23rd, 2013, 06:29 AM
Do you want to elaborate why you think it is the worst distro?

To tell you the truth, Ubuntu has been a Nightmare for me. I have a big collection of problems. Here goes: I get a Internal Error within 3 minutes of booting my PC, I can only use the PC after 4 minutes of waiting after booting, I hate the Depressing UI (I tried Gnome Shell and all that, but Linux seems determined to be Gothic), Two of my hard drives aren't working, Most of the Applications are unbelievably slow, After 15 minutes of using it The whole PC goes blank and only the wallpaper is left on the screen, I have to wait another minute for it to come back, My Internet is extremely slow, etc. Every time I try to go back to Windows, Ubuntu takes me to some GRUB thingy...

If you believe that these errors are caused because my system has low specs, here they are:

2 GB of Ram
2.3 Ghz Processor
Intel Dual Core Something Something

SifGrey
April 23rd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Since a laptop I run ubuntu on has about the same specs with only RAM memory being 3, I don't think your low specs are the problem.
It's also well above the minimum system requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) so I think that either the PC you're running ubuntu on isn't supported well enough or it's something software-side you could solve.

Jason Kuzhively
April 23rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Since a laptop I run ubuntu on has about the same specs with only RAM memory being 3, I don't think your low specs are the problem.
It's also well above the minimum system requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements)) so I think that either the PC you're running ubuntu on isn't supported well enough or it's something software-side you could solve.

Even if I tried to solve it, it would take at least a month to address every issue.

SifGrey
April 23rd, 2013, 07:46 AM
Well that's unfortunate.

Jason Kuzhively
May 2nd, 2013, 11:24 AM
After getting rid of Ubuntu 12.10, I decided I would give Linux another chance... I tried Xubuntu... LOVED IT, WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!!

daredent
May 3rd, 2013, 05:42 AM
I only use windows for gaming. Unfortunately my favorite genre of MMORPGS pigeon holes me here. Everything else I use Linux.

sunfromhere
May 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM
My mother's laptop (an older Hp Compaq) came with Vista, and recently it became too slow. It took 10ish minutes to boot and start-up, and another 10 to shut down. Now, one might start thinking about viruses (none), fragmentation (defragmented regularly), start-up chaos (I removed all non-essentials from start-up), many programs (she surfs the web, sends mail, uses Skype and plays this high-end game Plants vs Zombies :p).

So, few days ago I took her computer for a regular maintenance, and it blocked, blocked and then blocked some more. Ok, time for a regular Windows reinstall? And then it occured to me: if I'm gonna be installing an OS, I'm installing Ubuntu. The machine runs like a cheetah now. I installed Chrome for her (for Flash), and my God, it opens in a second when clicked. It shuts down in 2 seconds, boot is still slow but still 3x faster than Windows.

Now, on the other hand, this laptop isn't so bad. 2GB RAM, 2Ghz dual core processor, some ATI card, it was bought in January of 2008, and it should be more than enough for what she does. Now, I understand that Vista isn't the bestest of the OSes, but it was paid for, so I thought why not keep it...

How did it happen that a) a regular reinstall is required? b) a computer that was used solely for 4 simple things became so slow that even playing solitaire was a long-term process? After 6 months of usage (after the reinstall) the computer would become an old grampa. I know there wasn't any fishy stuff installed (emoticons, toolbars, memory hogs which pose as a cute app), I tought my mother well when it comes to the wilderness of internet.

Teal deer: It was a "kept" computer, what was slowing it down so much?

SuperFreak
May 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Even if I tried to solve it, it would take at least a month to address every issue.

Can't begin to count the endless hours fixing Windows problems due to malware, viruses, registry problems etc (not to mention the paid for software to prevent those problems). Not saying Ubuntu is perfect but for me it has worked almost flawlessly

dtconnor
May 4th, 2013, 01:40 AM
I am on a path to never go back - it seems there are two camps though - one camp are those of us that have little or no problems with Linux and can pretty much do what ever we need to as well or better than with Windows. The other camp seems to have struggles and Linux has been a nightmare and/or they can't do the things that they are used to doing or need to do.

I have had a few problems with Ubuntu but nothing that was not pretty easily dealt with though. That said I have been messing with Windows since Win95 and I have had my share of issues and problems to the point I developed a love/hate relationship with the OS. Add the bloatware, security and cost I am ready to move on and Linux has finally evolved to the point that it seems to work for me.

Bottom line - so far so good - and I am enjoying Ubuntu maybe because it's new and fresh for me.

Atitudes
May 4th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Me 2, although I lost my very addictive MMORPG which I'm not able to install and run having tried for months with wine and virtualbox, I gave up and still happy with my choice!! For years I have been installing Ubuntu and always had some hardware compatibility problems due to lack of driver support such as ATI Radeon graphic cards :( Since 12.04 came out I completely banished ******* from my house!! Honestly, I had loads of fun while trying to install/run/make compatible a bunch of software. I didn't had that much fun with an OS since MSdos and windows 3.1 :D If I could run back time, I would have grown on Linux and acquired some more programming experience instead of having to translate "Chinese" while reading some information!!

I also wish never to go back!!! Cheers!

Stormboy
May 4th, 2013, 02:21 AM
I want to add my 2c wirth Microsoft forcing this new win 8 onto people I am going to jump.
I have been using Ubuntu for a long time mostly server side with a friend I call a linux guru :)
I have now loaded 12.04 LTS on a Dell XPS630i in the past I had a few issues with graphics not this time round system runs like a dream. (I did the distribution upgrade to 13.04)
I have moved all my windows stuff over, have used Mozilla for years so the change is not big. I have left the win 7 on the other disk as the only time I plan to use is to play flight Sim X :)
I will keep looking for alternatives to programs I used in windows.

Go Ubuntu!

kcflyer
May 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM
I switched to Ubuntu about 9 months ago and haven't looked back. I had tried Linux in the past and had found the typical problems with finding a driver or understanding commands. Ubuntu is way different than that. Everything worked when I installed it. Not to be critical of folks, but in the past, a newbie looking for help was often met with a Linux geek who did the message board equivalent of rolling their eyes. Ubuntu is different. Help - and I didn't need much of it since everything pretty well worked right out of the box - is now seems to geared for the layman. My PC is dual boot because my daugther has I-tunes on it, but she's getting ready to go off to college so she'll move that to her MacBook. I use Virtual Box if I have to have something that runs under Windows. But that isn't much.

For the majority of PC users running Windows and all they do is surf the net and read e-mails - not into big time gaming or is tethered to Quicken - they could use Ubuntu and never know the difference. Well....except that they wouldn't be getting a ton of viruses DESPITE clicking on every link they see.

lovebluesky2009
May 4th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I only have ubuntu on my laptop too, it's a good choice