PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] ARM Chromebook 13.04 Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu? why?

kingweaver88
April 15th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Ok so I am thinking of trying to install ubuntu on my arm chromebook when the final 13.04 versions release later this month. I know that there is *supposed to be increased support for the hardware for the 13.04 release (any thoughts on that?). Now my question is this (I am kind of a newbie so bare with me), is there going to be any major differences in support or the installation process for Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu? If the answer is no, then which version would you all recommend? I currently use Xubuntu on a parallels VM and have been very happy with it, but considering the lower system resources of the samsung arm chromebook I am thinking that Lubuntu may be a better alternative. Then again the 12.10 version of the standard Ubuntu release already ran pretty snappy on this hardware according to multiple sources.

So basically thats the question, which version of 13.04 would you install on a Samsung ARM Chromebook... Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu?

in case youre wondering, my requirements for this machine are pretty low, I wont be doing anything particularly complicated with it... basically just web browsing, watching videos, downloading files, doing school work... pretty straight forward. I do however find the chrome os to be too restrictive for me, I do want a full blown desktop OS... just a simple lightweight one.

grahammechanical
April 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
is there going to be any major differences in support or the installation process for Ubuntu, Xubuntu, or Lubuntu?

The flavours of Ubuntu use the same installer program. The logos and images are different for each flavour. That is only difference I notice when it comes to installing the flavours.

As for support I guess a lot depends upon how many people have any idea of what the solution to the problem is. Some problems are common. The answers are the same. Especially if the answer is to run some commands. But if expecting directions for using the Graphical User Interface, then some of us can only explain things in relation to the User Interface that we are using. For example, I can give directions for Ubuntu and then only the latest or previous release. Anything older and I forgotten how to do things, if I ever knew how.

Things may have improved since October last year. But you may have to take what you can get.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/ubuntu-12-04-up-and-running-on-samsung-arm-chromebook

Regards.

snowpine
April 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Choose the user interface that is most productive for your work flow. Each desktop environment has different methods for completing common actions/tasks, but they are all Ubuntu "under the hood." You can even install multiple DE's and switch between them depending on your mood that day. :)

kingweaver88
April 15th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Ok it looks like this isnt as simple as I thought it was going to be... since you have to use chrubuntu which is still only for 12.04 that means my only option is to install Ubuntu 12.04... once I have 12.04 how would I update that to 13.04 when it is released? Will the standard system update utility do this for me or will I have to do it manually?

maniemann
April 22nd, 2013, 12:04 AM
You should be fine with whichever you prefer. I'm running 13.04 on my Chromebook with Kubuntu, and I see no issues with slowdown.

Edit to clarify: I do not recommend Kubuntu, as I'm having issues unrelated to slowdown. Some panel popups (Clicking to switch wireless networks, change the time, etc. from the systray, as well as changing/adding panels) do not work properly. The click areas do not match the UI objects themselves.

dimeotane
July 10th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I'm curious why there isn't an Chromebook ARM .iso image to make a bootable SD card or USB at this stage?
I see bootable iso images for other distros online. Won't the stock arm daily build "saucy-desktop-armhf+omap4.img" work? Why is use of Crubuntu script required?

richard24
October 2nd, 2013, 02:19 AM
Hi, Kingweaver88

Have you successfully install ubuntu on your samsung chromebook?

I tried a link http://www.amirkurtovic.com/blog/installing-chrubuntu-on-the-samsung-arm-chromebook-a-step-by-step-photo-guide/ (http://www.amirkurtovic.com/blog/installing-chrubuntu-on-the-samsung-arm-chromebook-a-step-by-step-photo-guide/)
but couldn't boot into it.

If you have done it, it would be very helpful~