PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME 3 fallback mode - How to customise the top and bottom bar

CrimpJiggler
April 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 and I don't like Unity so I installed GNOME 3. I got sick of using that new interface (the one with the activities button in the top left corner) so I logged out and selected a GNOME Classic session and now I seem to have the old interface back:
http://gyazo.com/2af5fff2459700279a3269a1267bc85a.png
but I can't add custom items to the topbar and bottom bar like I usually do. In the old version I had (Ubuntu 12.04 with gnone-session-fallback installed), I was able to press ALT + Right click on the top bar then it would give me the option of adding custom launchers and other stuff like a disk mounter button, or a memory usage icon etc. I could also move icons to the center or right of the bar.

Can I do this with GNOME 3 fallback mode?

SIDE QUESTION: In the new GNOME 3 interface, can you add a top and bottom bar? The new interface is alright, but it pisses me off that I can't minimise or shrink windows, and there is no bottom bar that shows all the windows that are open. And I need a topbar where I can add useful stuff like the disk mounter icon, a terminal icon (its easier to be able to click it at any time, rather than have to click the activities menu first), and the Places dropdown menu is handy too. Can I add this stuff to the new GNOME 3 interface?

pfeiffep
April 14th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I too have installed session fall back for me desktop experience in 12.10 (also works for 13.04). Yes both the top and bottom bars are easily customized.
While depressing the Alt key, right click on either the top or bottom bar, then choose properties. Transpariency and auto-hide are to options I choose.

ibjsb4
April 14th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Try

Super (windows key) + Alt + right click

pfeiffep
April 14th, 2013, 02:42 PM
So how do I determine which version gnome session fall back is installed? I certainly don't want to post misleading info....btw the alt-right click works for me without the super key!

Using Synaptic package manager I found the versions - Gnome Session Fallback replaces Gnome Session 3

CrimpJiggler
April 14th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Try

Super (windows key) + Alt + right click

That worked, thanks a lot. The old GNOME interface with the top and bottom bar is perfect in my opinion, I don't know why they insist on changing it. It was even better with the System dropdown menu.

ibjsb4
April 14th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I don't know why they changed it either, everyone knows change is bad :D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads

ibjsb4
April 14th, 2013, 03:02 PM
btw the alt-right click works for me without the super key!

Both ways work on my box, figure that one out :)

pfeiffep
April 14th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Both ways work on my box, figure that one out :)

Same Here! maybe it's the PFM utility (Pure F#$@%&^ Magic):)