PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error fd0: read error on freshly installed Ubuntu Server 12.04

orhanaslan
April 13th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Hi,
I just installed Ubuntu Server 12.04.2 LTS on a virtual machine. During system boot I receive error fd0: read error. I repeated the installation on another machine and received the same error. I downloaded the iso file again and installed it but no luck. System continues and boots after this error but why I am receiving this error on a fresh installation?
Note: I have used Guided LVM Partitioning-Used entire disk

MAFoElffen
April 13th, 2013, 04:12 AM
There is a number of ongoing bugs at launchpad on this since 9.04... and in grub2. Please join one of those bugs so it gets some focus. (Example bug# 441835) Most don't use floppies so don't even notice. Me, I still have drivers and patches on floppies for some of my older test servers.

Here is how I got mine working:

sudo vim /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks-rules

At around line #170 you'll see this code:

################################################## ################################################## ##########

# PC floppy drives
#
KERNEL=="fd*", ENV{ID_DRIVE_FLOPPY}="1"

# USB floppy drives
#
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{bInterfaceClass}=="08", ATTRS{bInterfaceSubClass}=="04", ENV{ID_DRIVE_FLOPPY}="1"

# ATA Zip drives
#
ENV{ID_VENDOR}=="*IOMEGA*", ENV{ID_MODEL}=="*ZIP*", ENV{ID_DRIVE_FLOPPY_ZIP}="1"

################################################## ################################################## ##########

Change the ENV value of the drive you want to edit from "1" to "0"... For example:

# PC floppy drives
#
KERNEL=="fd*", ENV{ID_DRIVE_FLOPPY}="0"

Save and exit. Then restart udev like this:

sudu service udev restart

Like I said, it fixed my problems. Hopefully it will for your's also.

orhanaslan
April 13th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Hi,
There is no file called 80-udisks-rules under /lib/udev/rules.d/

MAFoElffen
April 13th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Hi,
There is no file called 80-udisks-rules under /lib/udev/rules.d/

mafoelffen@maferr-ubuntu-1:~$ ls /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules

mafoelffen@maferr-ubuntu-1:~$ ls /lib/udev/rules.d/80*
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks2.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/80-mm-candidate.rules /lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks.rules

Doug S
April 14th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I don't have that file either (server 12.04.2), nor any similar string in any file in the directory. I have always had some floppy error during boot up, on servers with a floppy. I never cared about the error, and boot always continued fine.

MAFoElffen
April 14th, 2013, 03:14 AM
You are right!?! I just looked on my main desktop- 12.10 Desktop, 64bit, x86_64, there. First server- 12.04LTS Server 32bit, i686, there... Second server 12.10 Server 64bit, x86_64, NOT THERE... I can't check the other 8 servers at the moment. Presently moving them from the garage to the spare room (new computer room).

Aha! Maybe that is why there is an error message. I never noticed on my 64bit servers if it was there or not. Honestly, my older servers that I use the floppies on are dual processor single core Xeon's and one with dual-processor Pentium 4's running 32bit sys'es. On all my 64bit servers I used USB thumb-drives, so I never noticed. My 64-bit desktops have that file...

On desktops, I just go to user settings > privileges > and select the "floppy" check box... For some reason, user privileges are set at default as not using floppies. I guess they think that is a secure issue? But if you follow other's security reasoning, if someone has "physical control" of a sever...