PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu install messed up grub

bikewrecker
April 12th, 2013, 07:24 PM
After installing Ubuntu 12.10 over 11.10, my computer will no longer boot up.

When I try to boot normally I get this:

Verifying pool data............
error: file not found.
grub rescue>

I can still boot from the Ubuntu CD, but idk what commands will fix this.

Thank you for your help!

darkod
April 12th, 2013, 07:30 PM
From live mode post your partition with something like:

sudo parted -l (small L)

After that we can give you commands to add only grub2 from live mode.

Routhinator
April 12th, 2013, 09:29 PM
If you boot into rescue mode, there is an option to reinstall the grub boot loader. Alternatively you can use the live cd to boot a root shell in under your main partition and run:

sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

update-grub should be able to detect your partitions for you and simplify the process.

Routhinator
April 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Oh, I should mention.. Rescue mode (last I checked) is only available on the ALT-Install disk, which is a good idea to keep a copy of at all times.

bikewrecker
April 12th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Ok here it is:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD6400AAKS-2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 640GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 419GB 419GB primary ntfs boot
2 419GB 530GB 110GB primary ext2
3 530GB 640GB 110GB extended
5 530GB 640GB 110GB logical ext2

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!

darkod
April 12th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know if your root partition is sda2 or sda5. I guess you know that. To install grub2 from live mode to the sda MBR, in terminal execute:

sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

In the first command use sda2 or sda5 according to your root partition. The second command should have only /dev/sda with no number in it.

The above only installs small code of grub2 on the MBR, to get the booting off. It assumes your grub2 files and config are correct inside ubuntu. If they aren't, there is a way to fix that too. The above is the shorter procedure to try first.

On a side note, why are you using ext2 instead of ext4?

bikewrecker
April 12th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Ok, that worked perfectley! Thank you so much for your help!

I don't know the difference between ext2 and ext4. I really don't know as much about installing OS's as I should. I just try to make do. Should I have installed it as ext4 instead? Should I go back and reinstall it?

bikewrecker
April 12th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Also I don't remember how to change the prefix to solved.

darkod
April 13th, 2013, 12:24 AM
The Mark As Solved option should be in Thread Tools above the first post but I think it's not working right now after they upgraded the forum to another version.

ext4 vs ext2 is not that critical, I don't know the differences in details myself. I only know that the ext4 is the latest one and used by default unless you select otherwise.

You can google to read more about their differences and maybe it will have some recommendations whether a reinstall is worth it. People are still running ext2 so it's not like you have to do it. On the other hand, if the disk is still empty from personal data it might be the best moment to reformat and reinstall before you start loading it with data. The formatting will delete everything of course.

claracc
April 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Also I don't remember how to change the prefix to solved.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads