PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to use the Grid function in 12.04 Gnome Classic-No effects

Albatrossed
April 12th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I'm using 12.04, Gnome Classic - No effects, because it is the one that best seems to work with my somewhat old laptop.

Now, is there a way to use the Grid function? I've gone thru CompizConfig, but no matter what combination of keys I set, it does nothing. I guess my Compiz is not managing my windows. How can I tell If I'm using Metacity? And if this was the case, How can I set the grid function with it? Both keyboard and mouse drag&drop would be awesome. In fact, I loved those in Unity 3D, and I'm missing them quite a lot!
Also, I find that I can't seem to be able to run Gnome-classic (with effects). When I try to log in in this mode, It seems to be starting as Unity 2D.

Thanks!!

stinkeye
April 12th, 2013, 07:34 PM
I'm using 12.04, Gnome Classic - No effects, because it is the one that best seems to work with my somewhat old laptop.

Now, is there a way to use the Grid function? I've gone thru CompizConfig, but no matter what combination of keys I set, it does nothing. I guess my Compiz is not managing my windows. How can I tell If I'm using Metacity? And if this was the case, How can I set the grid function with it? Both keyboard and mouse drag&drop would be awesome. In fact, I loved those in Unity 3D, and I'm missing them quite a lot!
Also, I find that I can't seem to be able to run Gnome-classic (with effects). When I try to log in in this mode, It seems to be starting as Unity 2D.

Thanks!!
The Gnome Classic - No effects session uses metacity.
If you want to use the grid, login to the Gnome Classic session which uses compiz.

Check what window manager your using...

sudo apt-get install wmctrl

Then...

wmctrl -m

You may need to install a proprietary driver to run compiz depending on your gfx card.

ibjsb4
April 12th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Is the grid function another name for wireframe feature? If so in metacity it still in gconf-editor under reduced_resources.