PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xubuntu 13.04 final beta upgrade problems

fintry
April 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I have just upgraded my laptop to the 13.04 final beta release and have a couple of problems I don’t know how to fix.

Right click menu on the desktop does not work at all.
None of the file manager programs can find both of my hard discs
Not urgent, but the background wallpaper doesn’t work either.

Any guidance for a newbie much appreciated.
Thanks.

Toz
April 12th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Both #1 and #3 sound like xfdesktop isn't running. Try starting it up again by Alt-F2 and running:

xfdesktop

As for #2, what do you mean be "none of the file manager programs"? Xubuntu only comes with one by default, Thunar. Have you installed others? BTW, if you've installed Nautilus, it may be taking over management of the desktop, which may explain why #1 and #3 may not be working.

fintry
April 12th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Nice one Toz. xfdesktop got it going again.
As for the file managers, I also installed Krusader.
Will that be causing a problem ?

Toz
April 12th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Nice one Toz. xfdesktop got it going again.
As for the file managers, I also installed Krusader.
Will that be causing a problem ?

I'm not that familiar with Krusader, but I don't think it would. It might just be that your cached sessions got corrupted (it happens). If running xfdesktop solved your problem, then good. If you find that on every login, xfdesktop isn't working and needs to be restarted, then you may need to delete your sessions cache (~/.cache/sessions).

fintry
April 13th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I do have to run xfdesktop everytime I boot the laptop, and that is after your tip of clearing the sessions cache.
I still have ******* 7 installed on this laptop, will that be causing any interference ?
I installed Ubuntu through the Wubi program.

Toz
April 13th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I do have to run xfdesktop everytime I boot the laptop
Before you logon, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to the text login console and login there (text mode).
Once logged in, enter the following commands:

cd $HOME/.cache
rm -rf sessions
logout

Then, go back to the graphical login - press Ctrl+Alt+F7 - and log in again.

Does xfdesktop start automatically now?