PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First Time Ubuntu Video Editor - Some Help and Doubts

ghmsweb
April 11th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Hi guys! Nice to meet you all!

Well, first of all let me say a few things about myself! I'm a brazilian Video Editor who uses Mac OS X for the las 7 years, but because of the "always increasing" taxes and prices from apple i just had to stop using Apple computers now.

The first thing i try was buy a compatible PC and Install that cool "Hackintosh thing" that evebody said that should work but the install was not stable as i think...

After some time and problems i start to use Windows 8 and, well... SUCKS! That system should never be on anything but smartphones! :(

A lot of friends told me to use Linux, always saying that Ubuntu is the best choice, but i don't want to walk in hell trying to make the install work, so i want to know if there's any hardware on my PC that don't work with 12.10 ubuntu version... This is my specs:

Intel i7 3770
16 gigs of 1600hz RAM from Corsair
gigabyte h61m-ds2h (rev 2.1) motherboard
2 AOC FullHD VGA/DVI/HDMI 23' monitors
Realtek ALC887 audio codec
USB 3.0 (i need the full speed avaliable)
corsair 650 watts real power supply
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 Ti

I would love to hear that i will be ok but if there's any issue, but i had to know if i'm gonna have a bad time installing and running this spec at full speed. Can anyone help me?

PS: My english sucks, so... Please, be patient with me... lol

blackbird34
April 11th, 2013, 09:06 PM
That should run nice and fast under Ubuntu. As far as I know, there should be no problems; only the graphics card might have quirks, and based on a quick Google search, they seem to have all been solved.

I don't know how advanced you are at video editing, but there is no such thing as Adobe Premiere or Final Cut or anything on Ubuntu (or Linux in general). The best one seems to be Openshot, it is in the Ubuntu Software Centre, but I don't know if it's even on par with iMovie. In short: it's good, but doesn't have as many features as Premiere or Final Cut. However, in a few weeks' time, Lightworks (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/lightworks-linux-beta-gets-april-release-date) (a Hollywood-grade video editing suite) will be coming to Linux, and will be mostly open source, with a few optional paid-for codec packages.

Ubuntu 12.10 updates and support run out in a year's time; i'd suggest installing Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS which is supported until April 2017. You can get it here (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop), it is the second item on the download page. The LTS (Long Term Support) versions tend to be very solid, especially when they've been out for several months.
There is also a specialized version of Ubuntu called Ubuntu Studio for multimedia usage and editing, it is basically Ubuntu with lots of extra default software and tweaks, you can look into it later if you're interested.

N3XU5
April 11th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I don't think there are any free ubuntu movie editors that compare to iMovie.