PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 /w Cinnamon, errors after update

Slimmons
April 10th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Hi, I'm having a confusing problem. I'm fairly new to the *nix environment, so It might not be confusing at all, but it is to me. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop. I installed Cinnamon, and have been using that. I ran some updates from Ubuntu, and now when I restart my computer, no x interface starts. It just comes to a terminal screen. When I type startx after logging in, it shows my background picture, and that's it. No bar, no desktop icons, nothing. I can hit ctrl+alt+t, and get a terminal, and I type cinnamon --replace (because I found that command to start cinnamon) and it starts my environment back up, but still with no desktop, it just starts the bar at the bottom. I can make my desktop environment show up, by navigating to the desktop folder in nautilus. If I run cinnamon --replace without an &, and close the terminal, the entire computer freezes, it's really odd. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The only thing i could think of is the possibility that a new kernel update is incompatable with cinnamon maybe? That's a random guess since i'm kind of a noob here, but If that's the case, is there a way to change back to unity to see if it works (via the terminal, since if i logout now, it just goes to the terminal, I can't choose which DE i want to use). Thanks,

Slimmons
April 13th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Just as an update, I'm still having the same problem. Every few times my system will come up normally, but I have found a small workaround. After logging in, I startx, and then start unity (starting cinnamon doesn't work now). Unity runs fine though after that. Any ideas?