PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually print anything anymore?

mamamia88
April 10th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Just curious as to the printing habits of the people on these forums. I personally have a printer but the last time I printed anything off it was just to prove that it would work in Ubuntu. If i need to print a receipt or something i usually just print to pdf or something and save it in my dropbox folder. If i need to pull up a coupon at the store I just open the pdf on my phone. So what about you guys do you actually print anything anymore?

pfeiffep
April 10th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Pictures

cindy7543
April 10th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Yes I still print a ton of stuff for work. Reports and things that I need a hard copy of.

pinballwizard
April 10th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Ya, for work. We've gone paperless you see, which has made the mountain of paper grow...

sammiev
April 10th, 2013, 04:29 AM
Post 2,3 and 4 says it all.

BlinkinCat
April 10th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Lotto numbers twice a week - :)

Irihapeti
April 10th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Agendas for use at a meeting

Forms to pass round at a meeting for guests to put their names on

Posters to put up on a noticeboard (I'm certainly not going to leave a phone or tablet hanging there :) )

Copies of articles that I'm writing, for proofing - I work better off a hard copy than a screen.

Anything that I'm going to be reading aloud in public

Mikeb85
April 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Documents that need a physical copy, like tax forms, government documents to be mailed, bank documents, etc...

Other than that though, not much...

Paqman
April 10th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I mostly print the postage for stuff I sell on Ebay.

CharlesA
April 10th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I print school stuff.. but otherwise everything gets printed to PDF.

kevdog
April 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Yes print to pdf I use -- google cloud print is awesome --- awesome - awesome -- awesome. I'm able to share my old wired printer among all my computers (linux, windows, android devices) and I'm able to print to and from any device -- printing something to your phone is awesome!!

oldsoundguy
April 10th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Two printers .. a color laser and a high end photo printer ... guess what .. the photo printer prints photos!! The color laser does shipping labels & invoices, printouts of information, and sometimes a manual for something (it is duplex). (Oh .. and a Fax now and then.)

lisati
April 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM
My home printer is currently out of action, but when it's working I use it to print stuff for family. At work, there's stuff like time sheets and other such things that help keep the management happy, as well as the occasional bits and pieces related to assorted work-related activities.

robert shearer
April 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Maps- when going on a road trip.
Relevant pages from manuals when I need to be in front of the screen/gadget and input lots of commands. (just old I guess as I find it very hard to read and apply from a screen manual :-) :-(
Cashbooks when I do tax returns.
Letters of instruction to ; lawyers, banks, et al who all insist on a faxed and signed authorisation.
Dog Pix....:-)

fyfe54
April 10th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Yes, I print, but it's almost nothing nowadays and getting less all the time. Time to buy a (cheap) laser printer for what I need to print as ink cartridges will just dry out before I can use them.

Frogs Hair
April 10th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I use Blackboard for school so I really depends on the instructor, but most are trying to go paperless . Of course everything is saved to USB. I take notes on the computer from the textbooks and often print those for use in class.

leclerc65
April 10th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Boarding passes, train, bus ...

oldsoundguy
April 10th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Associates use theirs for itinerary's, venue layouts, up close maps for general ideas, contracts, lodging verification, set lists .. all the things needed when you are on the road.

Algus
April 11th, 2013, 12:12 AM
I play a lot of tabletop roleplaying games. I always need character sheets.

y6FgBn)~v
April 11th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I do the same as you MamaMia. I voted no since 99% of the time I just print to pdf.

EgoGratis
April 11th, 2013, 12:38 AM
I print/scan quite often for my work needs and i just love the way how Ubuntu and my printer work without installing any additional driver or stuff like that.

itrogers
April 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM
I hate printing but I have to do it. Ex: business checks to the IRS, no way they get my bank account info. Also- insurance cards.

Moose
April 11th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Of course? I have to print heaps of things for school. And when I am at home I need to print too.

>thread backfired.

3rdalbum
April 11th, 2013, 01:22 AM
The last thing I printed at home was concert tickets, last year.

At work, I have to print and file every piece of correspondence.

markbl
April 11th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Save the trees and get yourself a smart phone and/or tablet.

People who print to paper are still living in the 90's

;)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
April 11th, 2013, 01:53 AM
nope, unless a pdf printer (apt:cups-pdf) counts as a printer then i print a little
i print receipts if i need them for a RMA or a rebate (which is rare since i am stingy)

PJs Ronin
April 11th, 2013, 03:40 AM
I have a small laser printer I bought about 3 years ago and have used maybe twice. I fire it up occasionally so that my cat can chase the paper.

OmgItsPixelated
April 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I haven't printed anything that required the use of the printing drivers in a long time. At my high school we can print from our devices via a webpage making the drivers useless.

Swagman
April 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Well ..For photos it's cheaper and higher quality to use Boots, or snapfish etc... But my daughter uses the printer for her schoolwork and I use it to print off guitar tabs to use when in my lorry.

forrestcupp
April 11th, 2013, 12:07 PM
At home, we're completely paperless, except for federal and state taxes, which work out better for us to do manually and mail in our situation. Other than that, everything is scanned or electronic. We haven't used our personal printer for a very long time, other than for taxes. We just look at all of our pictures on our phones, computers, and tablets.

For business, we're almost completely paperless, other than some tax forms, and things like expense reports for meetings. I never have to file any paper, though. I used to print my speaking notes, but I use my tablet for that now. Since I got my tablet, the printer doesn't get used much.

If the show Revolution comes true, we're all screwed. :D

dale52
April 11th, 2013, 12:42 PM
just hooked my printer for my son to use for school

kurt18947
April 11th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I hate printing but I have to do it. Ex: business checks to the IRS, no way they get my bank account info. Also- insurance cards.
O.T. If you mail them a check, they have your bank account info.

shantiq
April 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
what's a printer? :KS

Roasted
April 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I print things that are important, such as any tax related documents or large paid receipts I want to keep track of. Oddly enough everything that I want a hard copy of I also want a digital copy of. It's just the hard copy sitting on a shelf makes things easier. This year when I had my taxes done, I wasn't sure what I would need housing related. I never owned a home before, so I had no idea what I was into since we purchased the home January of last year. I just took my entire binder of house-related statements and receipts and settlement papers etc... all worked out perfectly.

There's a time and place for hard copies - but their traditional use is being cut back dramatically.

JayKay3OOO
April 11th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Just guitar tab music at the moment.

I've had to use it for IT business related stuff and School/Uni things. I.e printing my dissertation.

For guitar you might not be playing by the computer and A4 is easier to read than a 15 inch laptop or a 10/7 inch tablet because most music/tab sheets are written to the A4 format you can put two sheets side by side so you don't have to stop playing if it's a long tune.

forrestcupp
April 11th, 2013, 10:18 PM
O.T. If you mail them a check, they have your bank account info.

Lol. That's true. The only way you can make a distance financial transaction to someone without their getting your bank info is either to use a prepaid credit card or pay cash at something like Western Union. I'd hate to see a list of everyone who has my bank info.

CharlesA
April 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Lol. That's true. The only way you can make a distance financial transaction to someone without their getting your bank info is either to use a prepaid credit card or pay cash at something like Western Union. I'd hate to see a list of everyone who has my bank info.

Paypal. ;)

The Spectre
April 12th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I don't print that often any more but it is very convenient to have around.

The last things that I have printed recently was a couple of Ubuntu Case Badges and a Couple T-Shirt Transfers for a Mouse Pad and a T-Shirt..

241231 241232 241233

The T-Shirt didn't come out very good I don't think the iron was hot enough.

PhilGil
April 12th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Good question mamamia88 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=736407).

At home, I hardly ever print. Almost all of my personal business is conducted by email or electronic transactions. I don't even keep important papers any more - everything I receive gets scanned and saved eletronically.

At work I still print regularly, but much less than I used to. Email correspondence has largely supplanted snail mail, and most documents are now scanned and emailed rather than faxed. While we still have some paper files we are scanning and saving more documents electronically. Even in my conservative business (insurance), most carriers accept scanned documents in lieu of originals.

ciscostudent561
April 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM
lol yes of course, alot.

zer010
April 26th, 2013, 12:38 AM
Didn't vote...
I haven't had ink for my printer since it was given to me. I have used it to scan a few things though. I've been meaning to get some ink for it.

I don't print that often any more but it is very convenient to have around.
The last things that I have printed recently was a couple of Ubuntu Case Badges and a Couple T-Shirt Transfers for a Mouse Pad and a T-Shirt..
The T-Shirt didn't come out very good I don't think the iron was hot enough.

This is the main reason I want to get some ink. Those are pretty nice. I've looked for some Linux/Tux shirts, but can't find any that pique my interest besides the Ubuntu shirts. However, since I'm in the USA the shipping/duty fees would make them overly expensive. I think I could print out a few for about the same cost as one Ubuntu item...

monkeybrain2012
April 26th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Yes, but very rarely. I have a printer that works perfectly with Ubuntu but there is no ink, it just isn't worth the money, I use it only for the scanner. I figure for my rare usage I either print at work or pay 1 to 2 bucks in the internet cafe.

stevesy
April 26th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Nah, not really. Only the odd official document.. or a flight booking, stuff like that. I'll probably be using my printer a little more when I start college this year though for assignment and project work.

scouser73
April 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I print quite a bit, using my Samsung ML-1865 mono laser printer.

prodigy_
April 26th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Almost never, even at work.

Buntu Bunny
April 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM
If I need to print something (rare), I just do it at the library. I either put the file on a USB stick or email it to my gmail account. I figure the $7 or $8 or so, that I spend on printing costs, is far cheaper than having to replace a printer every year or two (all so cheaply made nowadays). Not to mention the cost of ink.

forrestcupp
April 27th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I just realized that I do still print envelopes regularly.

Peripheral Visionary
April 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM
School papers, forms that have to be printed and handed in for after school stuff, hand-outs for little kids that I teach, pictures for snail-mail to my grandparents and other people who aren't online.

uRock
April 28th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Quite often. The kid types up papers for school assignments. I print out our workout schedules, time sheets for work and many of the pubs my professor has us read for my forensics classes.

pacpod
April 28th, 2013, 04:11 AM
I'll print of journal articles here and there but other than that, not really.

Umbra Diaboli
April 28th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Rarely, I have everything digital - receipts, tickets, etc

If I do need to print something (once every 3-4 months) I either do it from work, or from kinkos.

The Spectre
April 28th, 2013, 05:07 PM
This is the main reason I want to get some ink. Those are pretty nice. I've looked for some Linux/Tux shirts, but can't find any that pique my interest besides the Ubuntu shirts. However, since I'm in the USA the shipping/duty fees would make them overly expensive. I think I could print out a few for about the same cost as one Ubuntu item...

These are the same reasons that I ended up doing my own T-Shirts and Mouse Pads.

I couldn't find any T-Shirts that I liked either that where reasonable priced.

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the T-Shirt Transfers hold up after years of Wash & Wear.

I was almost going to throw out my old Epson Stylus Photo 825 Printer because the Ink was so expensive but I decided to try a 4 Pack (2 Color 2 Black) of generic compatible Ink Cartridges that I found at Amazon for around $10.00 and they have worked great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VCZ9SU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Colors might not be as accurate as the OEM Ink Cartridges but at this price I can't complain and even the Photos that I have printed have come out great.

BrokenKingpin
April 30th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Nope. Printers never seem to work when you need them to anyway. The printers at my office remind me of the one from Office Space... so I just gave up printing things lol. At work I just carry my laptop everywhere instead of printing things.