PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change session and ubuntu environment

arashiko28
April 10th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Can I create another Ubuntu session with the Edubuntu environment? Just to keep things separated, work from personal. Including the programs :)

Frogs Hair
April 10th, 2013, 01:56 AM
Edit: Yes but they won't be separate. All applications and files would be available from either session. (mis-read) Dual booting would separate them, but you would have to reboot.

sudo apt-get install edubuntu-desktop

arashiko28
April 10th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Thanks, but turns out it happened exactly what I didn't wanted to happen, I didn't wanted edubuntu software on my main session, but only on the new one, now I have even the edubuntu logo on the task bar instead of the ubuntu logo.

stinkeye
April 10th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks, but turns out it happened exactly what I didn't wanted to happen, I didn't wanted edubuntu software on my main session, but only on the new one, now I have even the edubuntu logo on the task bar instead of the ubuntu logo.

If you want to get back to pure ubuntu, look here.
Getting Back to a Pure Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntu)
*Note this is for 12.10. If your using 12.04, follow the link on that page.
**Just noticed there isn't an Edubuntu removal command for 12.04.

To get what you want I think you may have to dual boot.

arashiko28
April 10th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I realized that but kind of wanted to avoid it... well there's the new version coming up, might as well do it all together :D, thanks anyway.;)

pinballwizard
April 10th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Reload with Ubuntu, and then use a VM with Edubuntu for the kids...

gnugen
April 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I think this command should work to get your ubuntu desktop back:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

As for the edubuntu session, it uses Unity, so you can just install the Edubuntu educational packages from the Ubuntu Software Centre and create a new user account for personal use. However, you will probably still be able to access your programs from another user account.