PDA

View Full Version : Stability of future Ubuntu phones?

Ragi1992
April 9th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Hello all. This is my first post after a long while.. glad to be back. ;)

Anyways... I was looking at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVmDOZoVEo

So far it seems pretty good. But isn't it still in Beta? How stable will the actual release be? Would love to hear thoughts and opinions!

Also which Nexus is in the video? I have been on lame iPhone.. So I hardly know any other phones, but I'm ready to throw this iPhone in the garbage heap. :D

whatthefunk
April 9th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Who can say how stable the final release will be? Its still in beta, so nobody has any idea. What color will the screen saver in Ubuntu 18.10 be? Who will be president in 2045? I have no idea.
Ideally, the final release will be very stable, but we wont know until its out.

grahammechanical
April 11th, 2013, 02:16 PM
What we are seeing is the development of the operating system for a commercial product. The manufacturer will make the decisions regarding the release of the product. It is a crowded market and it would be wise not to put products on the market that are not fit for sale. Remember, Ubuntu phone/tablet will have to compete against Apple devices and Android devices not only on stability and usefulness but also on style.

It would also be sensible for buyers to make their choices using the same standards as with any other product of this type. Check out the design specifications

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnityNextSpec

Regards.

Nr90
April 11th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I've been using my nexus7 with ubuntu touch.
so far stability has not been an issue. 0 crashes.
Performance, features and apps are what's missing.
I'm definitely not saying that this will be the case for the final product, but I don't worry as much about stability as about those issues.

that said, I fully agree with the others that it'll be released when its ready.

3rdalbum
April 12th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Ubuntu on phones won't have to support a hundred thousand hardware combinations; it'll really be optimized for whatever device it is preinstalled on. That should certainly aid stability.

Instability would turn a lot of people away from Ubuntu. It's given Motorola's phones a reputation they'll probably never recover from; too many people burnt by Motoblur.

OmgItsPixelated
April 13th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I'll be interested to see which companies do put ubuntu on their phones.

3rdalbum
April 13th, 2013, 10:41 AM
So far it seems pretty good. But isn't it still in Beta?

It's certainly not in beta. It's not even reached alpha yet.

With Ubuntu, by the time something reaches beta, it's very close to final release and ready for everyday use.