PDA

View Full Version : I'm over Unity. How do I change it?

Ice On Fire
April 8th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Hey guys,

I've got Ubuntu 12.10 setup at the moment.

However, I am over the Unity DE as it gets in the way and sticks out too much for me.

So, I want to change it - I did try Gnome with:
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

This gives the desired effect I am after - however, it has the bar at the bottom of the screen - which seems a little pointless.

So, how do I replace the DE with something that just has the top bar and leaves the rest up to me?
I am also wanting to install Docky - along with some widgets - any suggestions on this?

Thanks guys

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2013, 08:05 PM
The bottom panel is removable with super key/windows key + Alt + Right Click or Alt + Right Click. You can open the software center and install Docky or GLX/ Cairo Dock. I have used GLX but, not Docky.

VanillaMozilla
April 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Did you delete a panel or autohide? I don't know how to get a new one, but it's easy to delete one. Careful.

blackbird34
April 8th, 2013, 09:58 PM
When you Alt+Right click doesn't the little menu offer you to add a panel if you only have one?

BTW i've used Docky, it's good, straightforward, no fuss. Cairo Dock/GLX are good but have way too many options IMHO.

Frogs Hair
April 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM
When you Alt Right you will see a menu with different options . When there no panel and you can move the cursor to the bottom and bring up the menu and select new panel.

markbl
April 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM
apt-get install gnome-shell and then log in to GNOME session.

ibjsb4
April 9th, 2013, 02:22 AM
You can also see if any of this will work for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks

Ice On Fire
April 9th, 2013, 07:05 AM
The bottom panel is removable with super key/windows key + Alt + Right Click or Alt + Right Click. You can open the software center and install Docky or GLX/ Cairo Dock. I have used GLX but, not Docky.

Ah, didn't know that - let me try it out, thanks!

When you Alt Right you will see a menu with different options . When there no panel and you can move the cursor to the bottom and bring up the menu and select new panel.

Thanks for the visual. :D

apt-get install gnome-shell and then log in to GNOME session.

Yes, already done this bud - bar was / is still at the bottom. Appreciate the input though.

You can also see if any of this will work for you.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks

Great, I will go through the links! :D

Thanks all!

markbl
April 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Yes, already done this bud - bar was / is still at the bottom. Appreciate the input though.

No you haven't spud, gnome-shell does not have a bottom bar. gnome-session-fallback that you are using is the old "classic" gnome. gnome-shell is the new UI for gnome 3.

Ice On Fire
April 9th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Ah, sorry, wasn't paying attention while reading there... oops!

Let me try it now.

Thank you.

Ice On Fire
April 9th, 2013, 08:19 AM
This is the error I get when trying:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

markbl
April 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM
That just means the automatic ubuntu update manager happened to be running at the same time you did that. Wait a minute and try again.

Ice On Fire
April 9th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Sorry, still new to this whole Linux game. :)

It worked the second time around.

cmcanulty
April 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM
In classic you can have as many or few panels as you like and put them on top, bottom, right, or left

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 08:31 AM
In gnome-shell - I just get the wall paper - no menu, no bars, nothing.

Is that normal?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 in VMware Fusion on my MBP. I tried right cliking the bar, alt-right-click and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?

markbl
April 10th, 2013, 08:38 AM
You say you get "no bars" but you also say you tried "clicking the bar".

What exactly do you see?

Read https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/shell-introduction.html.en,
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Tour, https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Sorry, what I meant to say is:

In Gnome-Shell, all I see is the wallpaper image, nothing else.
In Gnome-Session-Fallback, the top and bottom bars a visible, however alt-right-clicking them, does nothing. However, as I stated, maybe this is a VMware issue, rather than an Ubuntu issue.

I will read the links provided, thank you.

ibjsb4
April 10th, 2013, 11:07 AM
In Gnome-Session-Fallback, the top and bottom bars a visible, however alt-right-clicking them, does nothing.

Try Super (window key) + Alt + right click

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Okay, so I restored my Ubuntu to a previous snapshot version in VMware Fusion. I downloaded the gnome-shell and it asked me to select a default display manager. So I selected gdm (I Think) and I logged off and logged on with Gnome. Just the wallpaper show. No bars, menus or anything of the sort.

What's causing this?

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Try Super (window key) + Alt + right click

Don't have a Windows key. Using a MacBook Pro. However, this worked CMD + Alt + Right click.

Panel now gone. Just the top bar is there.

Thanks!! :P

cmcanulty
April 10th, 2013, 01:53 PM
do gnome classic instead almost identical to gnome 2

TeamRocket1233c
April 10th, 2013, 03:09 PM
You could try Cinnamon, E17, or MATE, as well. You have to add the PPAs for 'em in order to install 'em though, as they're not in the official repos, although Cinnamon will be in the official repos starting with 13.04.

Cinnamon:
-------------------------------------------------------
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon
MATE:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu quantal main"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-core
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
E17:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hannes-janetzek/enlightenment-svn
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install e17

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM
You could try Cinnamon, E17, or MATE, as well. You have to add the PPAs for 'em in order to install 'em though, as they're not in the official repos, although Cinnamon will be in the official repos starting with 13.04.

Oh, awesome!

Can I try multiple DEs without the need to reinstall the OS?

Currently I am using Gnome Classic - removed the bottom panel and have Docky running. Loving it.

cmcanulty
April 10th, 2013, 03:38 PM
yes just go to synaptic and install lubuntu desktop, xubuntu desktop etc. You will pull in a lot of extra apps though. Also on my laptop some interact weirdly but on my desktop they don't. But very easy to install or uninstall.

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks for that.

I will just take a snapshot of the system now before I start with those extra DE's. I still don't know why Gnome-shell only loads the wallpaper?
Is this desktop for terminal use only?

I must say, Ubuntu is better without Unity.

I really appreciate the help everyone!

Edit: I prefer using Terminal to install these packages - is the manager program better?

cmcanulty
April 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM
no it just gives you a little more info and you can check whether you want all the additional things

TeamRocket1233c
April 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Currently I am using Gnome Classic - removed the bottom panel and have Docky running. Loving it.

Cool. I'm using either a pretty much stock Cinnamon, MATE, or E17 myself, as I have all three DEs installed on my system, all three are flat-out awesome, especially E17 as it's pretty much the perfect blend of usability, eyecandy, and size, IMO.

Ice On Fire
April 10th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Cool. I'm using either a pretty much stock Cinnamon, MATE, or E17 myself, as I have all three DEs installed on my system, all three are flat-out awesome, especially E17 as it's pretty much the perfect blend of usability, eyecandy, and size, IMO.

Will give those DE's a try once my interview is over on Friday. :)

TeamRocket1233c
April 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Cool. :)