PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu on Lenovo Y500 SLI - Problem...

Ihsan95
April 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hello,

I recently bought a new laptop, the Lenovo Y500 SLI. It has an ultrabay slot where I have
an extra graphics card from Nvidia in it. It has 2 x 2GB Nvidia Geforce GT 650M.

I made a live usb from Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit) with Unetbootin. The USB works on my other PC's.
Whenever I boot my laptop with the liveUSB, I get into grub. The grub menu looks very
weird, it's very scaled and is 3 times displayed next to each other (..?). And whenever I
click on "Try Ubuntu without installing", I wait a little bit and only I get is a black screen.

I used linux on my other systems and installed without a problem. I'm not a real expert though,
that's why I need your help.

I would really apreciate any help that leads to a working Ubuntu on my system. :)

Thanks in advance.

- I. C.

UPDATE:
I set my BIOS to Legacy Support, now I can boot into Ubuntu. But my second videocard in the
SLI slot is always running at a low speed.. What can be the cause? Thanks.

UPDATE 2:
Okay, I know now how to install Ubuntu. I'm gonna do a dual boot. But.. If I want to run
Ubuntu properly I must set my BIOS to Legacy Mode, but then Windows wouldn't load.
Does anyone know how I would put them in kinda universal mode that it auto detects
which OS I'm using? Thanks.

Ihsan95
April 8th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Bump.

Ihsan95
April 8th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Solved. I found the option to unlock everything on my pc. Everything works now.
The thread can be closed.

Ogiyecp
April 10th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I'm considering buying the same laptop. Does the SLI gpu work properly? Also, could you elaborate on this option you found to unlock everything?

Thanks.