PDA

View Full Version : Simple idea for a cooling mod

Sethun
April 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM
As we all know laptops aren't the greatest in the cooling department, and my dell inspiron 15 n5050 is no expection. Of my ideas is simple it only requires a mastercooler cooling pad and a drill. I'd dissasemble the laptop so the components are safe set them aside and at the bottom of the case I'd just drill holes to push cool air up into the laptop and hot air out the regular exhaust fan just more efficently. Give me your feed back

tgalati4
April 8th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Each laptop is designed differently. More holes can mean more noise. You will get a whistle tone depending on the size and number of holes. Many times, the laptop's heatsink is just too small for the processor selected. Many Dells have a selection of processors for the same motherboard. Put in a fast, multicore processor vs a slow, single core and you will see a temperature difference.

Unless you can prove that the airflow intake is the limiting factor, then drilling holes won't make much difference. Dirty fans and heatsinks will increase temperatures. So if you are going to pull your laptop apart, you might as well clean it and oil the fan.

Let us know what kind of temperature reduction that you achieve with your ventilation efforts.

QIII
April 8th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Hello!

Be very careful. You might end up with greater temperatures if your mods disrupt the air flow pattern the engineers worked out to maximize effectiveness.

Regards!

Sethun
April 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thank you guys for the awesome input, it's really got me thinking now.

mreq
April 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Isn't the pad enough itself? I've been happy with mine when gaming...