PDA

View Full Version : Idea for A Program

Bresser
April 8th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Okay,
So here is my idea: I want to make a program that will watch a Powerpoint, write down the text inside that Powerpoint and use it to input the answers to questions. So... :

Is it even possible?
What language(s) would need to be used?

hayden92
April 8th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Hi Bresser,

It is definitely possible but getting the program to be reliable and to gather the correct data might be a little tricky.
I had a quick go at pulling the text from powerpoints, and it's easiest if the powerpoint is converted to something easier to read (e.g. HTML).

If I were to do it, the program would convert the powerpoint into html, read the html and look for tags such as <h1> to gather text data.
Store this information into a plain text file and then read off of that. It's possible in most languages (I would use c++) but you will need some system calls (to convert the files to different formats) that are specific to the program you use to convert the powerpoints.

schragge
April 8th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Or you may use some ready-made converters from Ubuntu repositories like ppthtml (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man1/ppthtml.1.html) or catppt (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man1/catppt.1.html). The last tool outputs the contents of a PowerPoint presentation as plain text.

ofnuts
April 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Okay,
So here is my idea: I want to make a program that will watch a Powerpoint, write down the text inside that Powerpoint and use it to input the answers to questions. So... :

Is it even possible?
What language(s) would need to be used?

The cynic in me says he has never seen any answers in a Powerpoint presentation :)

The pragmatic and ex-colleague of people working in that field says the text in a Powerpoint is much too short and telegraphic to extract any meaningful content.

At best you can make a program that extracts "sentences", and tries to guess the important words in questions (ie, remove articles/prepositions...) and output sentences that contain {all|one of} the remaining words. Going further than this requires a thesaurus (so that if you are asked about vehicles, you can find sentences about cars), language models ("Poor Rich!"), and bit more programming expertise.

Start with Python.