PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Different /home Partitions

cweinhofer
April 7th, 2013, 08:01 AM
I currently have Lubuntu 12.10 installed on my computer in a dual boot configuration with Win 7. I mostly access it by loading the Linux partition with a mapped vmdk in VirtualBox, but sometimes I do boot into it directly.

I would like to move /home to a separate partition. In order to back up this data along with the rest of my Windows files without a lot of fuss, I would like to store /home in a virtual disk. The problem is that when I boot directly into Linux, this virtual disk will not be available.

With the way I use things, not having the normal /home data available when booting directly into Linux is not a problem, but I wasn't sure what Linux would do? Is it possible / advisable to create second /home partition that would be used for direct booting?

dino99
April 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM
dont forget that "virtual" means "temporary"; so if you want to loose your data ...

/home : separate partition
home : simple folder inside the installed distro

cweinhofer
April 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
dino99, I don't understand why you think that using a virtual disk image will be more likely to endanger the data. The image can be backed up just like an image of a physical drive.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to make this work or possible alternatives?