PDA

View Full Version : Day Three Of Switching To Ubuntu From Win 7

pickledegg
April 6th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I'm a web developer of some years. and my daily workflow involves sublimetext, filezilla, chrome (+F12), thunderbird, pidgin & photoshop.

As 5 of the 6 programs are opensource/available on Linux, I decided to switch, and for various other reasons. Its taken me roughly a week of tweaking to get it how I like it, but I started using it for client work three days ago. Last night I spent several hours cleaning up a clients server in WHM & phpmyadmin, and spent the day coding a CakePHP app. Later that night I plugged the laptop into the TV to get my fix of Breaking Bad on VLC player.

everything is going great, I'm just preparing to setup a Virtual machine to run Photoshop. ( I'd switch to GIMP if I didn't have such time constraints as I need to keep my workflow at a decent pace, and its taken a long time to become fluent with PS.)

So far so good, and I'm pleased to see games such as Kerbal Space Program & Xenonauts making their way to Linux.

PS. This thread has little point, just shouting about how impressed I am! :guitar:

3rdalbum
April 6th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I'm glad you're going well and enjoying your Ubuntu computer. I think everyone who helped on your first thread would like another progress update in a few months.

mamamia88
April 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Oh please for the love of god try wine for photoshop before a virtual machine. Virtual machines are a sure fire way to waste resources that could be used for something else. It's like running 2 operating systems at the exact same time where wine is more native and will only use as much resources as it takes to run the app. And maybe try gimpshop. It's gimp made to look and behave as close to photoshop as possible. Couldn't hurt to try

GameX2
April 6th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I've managed to get Photoshop CS5 running perfectly under Wine, and Photoshop CS6 with a few bugs that are fixables (My configuration look incorrect).

Install Photoshop in a virtual machine, then copy the files. Check Wine App dB for more info - It can be quite tricky. I always had trouble with activating the software.

But installing a virtual machine ensure you the best stability for Photoshop, I agree.

JSeymour
April 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
If ever you do decide to give The Gimp a go, this book will prove invaluable: Grokking the Gimp (http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html)

I have it in paperback. Worth every penny, and then some!

Jim