PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Reinstall Ubuntu 12.10

fosbinder
April 3rd, 2013, 11:10 PM
Dont you love all these nub questions awesome Ubuntu Community?

slickymaster
April 3rd, 2013, 11:12 PM
Here is a great tutorial on how to do it: How to reinstall Ubuntu easily (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reinstallation)

fosbinder
April 3rd, 2013, 11:17 PM
Thank you so much for the quick response

matt_symes
April 3rd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Hi

Dont you love all these nub questions awesome Ubuntu Community?

One thing about the Ubuntu Forums is that we don't mind answering the same questions over and over again.

We understand that for many, Ubuntu is the first Linux distribution they try.

We must all start somewhere and Linux can be a big change if your used to Windows.

Personally i think that the regular forum members and posters are some of the best in the world for the effort they put in.

Kind regards

fosbinder
April 3rd, 2013, 11:27 PM
you mind stickin with me thru the reinstall?

matt_symes
April 3rd, 2013, 11:45 PM
Hi

you mind stickin with me thru the reinstall?

Post back any problems or questions you have about the install.

Even if i am not here (it's getting late here), there are many users that will be.

Kind regards

fosbinder
April 3rd, 2013, 11:58 PM
I dont have G-Parted...Nvm Found it LOL XD

slickymaster
April 3rd, 2013, 11:59 PM
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Follow these instructions (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto) to burn the .ISO image to CD

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 12:43 AM
im having issued with step 2 here (https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/reinstallation).. I clicked swap off on linux-swap then delete it and then delete extended /dev/sda2 and swap dissapears then extendened becomes unalocated and at the end ext4 /sda1 cannot be deleted.. and the unmount option results in an error

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 01:07 AM
restarting process

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM
I cant get the terminal up when booting from the disk to download Gparted.. any ideas?

pfeiffep
April 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Do you have an install CD / DVD (sometimes called live) that you made? If so boot it from your dvd - gparted is probably installed on the install CD ... you should be able to continue from there. Is this the step 2 to which you referred?

2. Boot your computer from the Ubuntu DVD and start GParted:
Click on the grey Ubuntu logo in the top of the side panel (Dash home). Query: Gparted.
Click on Gparted Partition Editor.
If so it appears that you might have tried this from your installed 12.10.
Are you on the chat line?

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 02:29 AM
I cant get Gparted loaded while booted from disk as instructed in the above mentioned tutorial... What should I do?

pfeiffep
April 4th, 2013, 02:40 AM
So you opened dash and typed
gparted ? correct. And it didn't load? any errors?
try
Alt-Ctrl-t to open a terminal and type
gksudo gparted

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 02:49 AM
i was trying to find it with the ubuntu search and couldnt find terminal or gparted but the shortcuts and command worked =) Thank you

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 02:52 AM
so I got there and now I cant deactivate swap on linux-swap... (-) Could not deactivate swap swapoff:/dev/sda5:swapoff failed: Cannot allocate memory

Any Thoughts?

Bucky Ball
April 4th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Sry Bucky =) , any thoughts?

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 03:20 AM
I love you all.. just wish you had more time and I had less lagg

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Would a regular old reinstall without this step hurt my system?.. its just a fresh install of Ubuntu that I messed up atm..

agent-squirrel
April 4th, 2013, 03:33 AM
A regular reinstall wont hurt but only if you are happy to loose the current Ubuntu install.

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 03:47 AM
been sittin at this forum for 2 hours now.. time to take a break..

Bucky Ball
April 4th, 2013, 03:56 AM
You might consider 12.04 LTS. It has five years support rather than eighteen months. All depends on how you use your machine, of course. I generally have the current LTS release as my main squeeze and a couple of partitions for playthings (interim releases and anything else that takes my fancy). Doesn't matter if I break these as always have 12.04 LTS to fall back on (supported until April 2017). ;)

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 04:23 AM
wow.. something is wrong with my connection cause I refreshed this a billion times and didnt see your message.. thank you!

fosbinder
April 4th, 2013, 04:41 AM
so I decided to reinstall without removing the partitions and now the installer cannot setup the swap.. what should I do?

The creation of swap space in partition #5 of SCSO1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed.

pfeiffep
April 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
If you don't have any files, pics, music on Ubuntu then you should proceed with an install similar to the original.