PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to repair kde - ubuntu - 12.04 lts

Ashi Gupta
April 3rd, 2013, 06:57 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to ubuntu and working with it is wonderful. I installed 12.04 kde in my laptop. To change kde to gnome i used "apt-get install gnome" command for gnome installation. After complete installation it asked me to select option between gdm and lightgdm. I selected lightgdm but after that i am not able to open neither kde nor gnome. But i am able to start virtual terminal tty1 using Alt+F1.

Now i don't know how to repair this. Please tell me how to repair my system to get back at-least kde which i installed. I am using UBUNTU 12.04 LTS.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ashi

ibjsb4
April 3rd, 2013, 07:47 AM
If your not able to log into anything how are you getting to tty?

Try the command startx see if it will do anything.

You are trying to access the different desktops at login? What choices (desktops) do you have?

Ashi Gupta
April 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM
I am able to start ubuntu but then after a blank screen is coming. At that moment i giving Alt+f1 and then i am getting tty terminal. I have no desktop choices. I tried startx from tty terminal but it is also not working.

ibjsb4
April 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
So at login you cannot click on the icon and choose a desktop.

We need something to go on, like an error report.

sudo apt-get -f install

Any errors from that?

Cheesemill
April 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
You could try switching your display manager to gdm...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

oldschoolgentoo
April 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
impression i am getting from OP is X is not configured.

Ashi Gupta
April 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

These commands are not working. I able to get the tty terminal from filesafe mode not from the normal mode. After applying these commands i am getting error " FATAL ERROR : NO SCREENS FOUND".

Any suggestions....

Ashi

ibjsb4
April 4th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Ok, lets try oldschoolgentoo's suggestion.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

sudo service lightdm start

I wonder if your options may of been changed. Were you using nomodeset?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?58849-Kubuntu-12-04-LTS-64-bit-Black-Screen-with-Intel-Based-Laptop