PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a childrens point and click adventure game?

QwUo173Hy
April 2nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
I've just finished playing Machinarium and my six year old really enjoyed trying out some of the levels. It's a bit dark for what I want her doing though and there was some content I don't want her to see, such as characters smoking and some aggression between characters. The beauty of it is that there was no text to read, unlike say Out Of Order, which has the overall feel I'm looking for.

Any suggestions for something very simple that a six year old child could enjoy?

stalkingwolf
April 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
check out the edubuntu package . lots of games and educational stuff. ive installed it for 5-7 yr olds and they have a blast. has things up thru HS. also qimo .

odiseo77
April 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Not sure if this classifies as point and click or adventure, but you might want to try Frozen Bubble. Also, Supertux (Super Mario-like game) and Supertuxkart must be appropriate for a six year old child (and I think they classify as adventure). When she's a bit older you might want to try Enigma (very fun and educational game that stimulates curiosity, memory and intelligence).

Regards.

mips
April 2nd, 2013, 07:09 PM
I would look at the LucasArt adventure games for SCUMM but then again I think they are a bit to advanced for someone of that age. You can get them from GOG. There's also lots of stuff you could probably run via emulation for consoles, Amiga etc. Also check out the abandonware sites.

QwUo173Hy
April 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
stalkingwolf, thanks. I have the edubuntu stuff like tuxpaint, tuxtyping and tuxkart installed as well as some coloring games. She loves them.
odiseo77, thank you. I'm trying to avoid the games that require quick reflexes and raise stress levels even if only slightly. But I remember being an Enigma addict in 2004 when I discovered it. Great game. My housemate had his nokia phone working as a bluetooth controller for the cursor too and used to play it from across the room!
mips, emulation is a good idea. That will give me more options, thank you.

In the mean-time. I have found a website called www.starfall.com that has some really great and educational content for kids.

tartalo
April 2nd, 2013, 10:05 PM
The authors of Machinarium made another full length game called Botanicula: http://botanicula.net/

monkeybrain2012
April 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
How about letting your kid going out to play with friends under the sun and smell the grass and flowers? I think it is depressing that kids are taught to comatose in front of a computer screen at such young age while they should be out playing,

QwUo173Hy
April 2nd, 2013, 11:52 PM
tartalo, thank you. That looks like one I might enjoy :) It's not really suitable for her though (some of the characters look menacing). I guess the educational games are the way to go.

monkeybrain, you are making a lot of assumptions there given you know absolutely nothing about me, this child or our environment. I think it's a shame you weren't taught to be more open-minded.

antti64
April 13th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Hi,

I just also found Botanicula http://amanita-design.net/games/botanicula.html, but it requires Adobe AIR, which is not supported for Linux anymore. That's quite sad. Does it make sense to pay for the game if you are unsure if the game runs on Linux?

Antti

forrestcupp
April 13th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I just also found Botanicula http://amanita-design.net/games/botanicula.html, but it requires Adobe AIR, which is not supported for Linux anymore. That's quite sad. Does it make sense to pay for the game if you are unsure if the game runs on Linux?

Antti

On the web site beside "Buy This Game", it says " PC+Mac+Linux+Soundtrack". It must work.

antti64
April 13th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Have you tried it yourself on Linux?

Antti

stalkingwolf
April 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM
there is also qimo games in synaptic there are a few more in that that arent already installed.
I installed edubuntu for a friends son since he got the laptop he took to it like a duck to water and has found things i didnt know were there. His Mom installed the qimo games and he loves it. A pleasant side effect , during the easter break he had home work , preparing for the state test. he was doing about an hour a day. He recieved his laptop about midweek. She set it up for him and off he went. From that time on she scheduled him for an hour doing home work. He started asking for 2. He not only finished his assignment but started it over. and was over half thru it again at end of week.

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Have you tried it yourself on Linux?

Antti

No, but they do have a section of their forum (http://amanita-design.net/forum/index.php?board=24.0) dedicated to running the game in Linux. One of their stickies addresses how to get it working since Air won't install.