PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7

shelef
April 2nd, 2013, 01:41 PM
I want to install Ubuntu alongside my Windows 7. I defragmented my C: drive and shrink it.
I then started the Ubuntu installation which I burned on CD. I followed the installation guide (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest) from the official site. I did step 3 and choose my wireless. According to the guide I supposed to arrive step 4 and install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7. But instead I arrived this place:
What did I made wrong? Why I didn't get an alongside installation?

darkod
April 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM
This usually happens if the hdd has been used in raid before and it still has meta data remains. If you are NOT using raid, boot the ubuntu cd in live mode (Try Ubuntu), open terminal and run:

sudo dmraid -Er /dev/sda

If there is meta data, that will ask you if you want to remove it. Confirm and start the install again, it should work.

Note that you only run the above command if you are not running raid, since if you are, it can break your existing array.

shelef
April 2nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
My knowledge in hardware is very small. so actually I dont know if i using raid. I took this pictures. it might help.

If it doesn't enough, how can I check if I'm using RAID?
I understood from you what to do in the case Im doesnt using RAID. But if I do, how do I install ubuntu?

darkod
April 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
Small or big HW knowledge, you should know your machine and what you have. :)

The image didn't post, don't insert images in the text, use the Advanced options when posting and post them as Attachments.

For raid you would need at least two physical disks. Do you know at least whether you have one or two HDDs in the machine?

shelef
April 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Small or big HW knowledge, you should know your machine and what you have. :)

The image didn't post, don't insert images in the text, use the Advanced options when posting and post them as Attachments.

For raid you would need at least two physical disks. Do you know at least whether you have one or two HDDs in the machine?
I added a link.
http://s22.postimg.org/lbnu3vits/aaa.jpg

darkod
April 2nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Looks like only one single disk. It should be OK if you run the dmraid command.