PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I permanently install Ubuntu to my harddrive from a USB drive?

Quintz
April 2nd, 2013, 01:21 AM
Is this possible? After many searches I find only people trying to install the Ubuntu live version. I have an open partition on my hard drive for Ubuntu to be installed but I have no CD drive.

Thanks.

snowpine
April 2nd, 2013, 01:23 AM
Here are easy 1-2-3 instructions with screenshots:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest

Quintz
April 2nd, 2013, 01:52 AM
Ok thanks, I used wubi before to install it onto my windows partition but it wasn't worth using because of how slow it was, I didn't know it could be used to install on another partition.

Now my question is how large should I choose for the installation to be? I can choose between 5 and 30gb but there's no explanation for what this affects?

snowpine
April 2nd, 2013, 01:59 AM
A larger partition will give you more space for installing applications, creating documents, storing music & movies, etc.
Presumably the larger you choose, the more space it will take from your Windows partition, so it is a balancing act.

ahallubuntu
April 2nd, 2013, 02:39 AM
~

wiired24
April 2nd, 2013, 03:06 AM
Go into your Bios press F9 or F12 or on some computers it's esc to get into your boot menu. Once you're theyre select boot from usb. Once you have booted from usb you should see a purple splash screen press enter then there should be an option to INSTALL UBUNTU select that and then follow the setup wizard and there ya go : )