PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.12 is available?

opusbeme
April 1st, 2013, 03:51 PM
I see some people posting about Ubuntu 12.12 - Is this a mistake or can you get this upgrade?

Warprunner
April 1st, 2013, 03:59 PM
I see some people posting about Ubuntu 12.12 - Is this a mistake or can you get this upgrade?

I think it's a mistake. Versions have historically only come out in April and October.

mlentink
April 1st, 2013, 05:41 PM
Actually it was a little bit late, as it was released today.
Simply go to the Ubuntu download page to download it.

Cheesemill
April 1st, 2013, 06:08 PM
There's no such thing as 12.12.

All of the currently available versions of Ubuntu can be found here...
http://releases.ubuntu.com/

The next version of Ubuntu will be 13.04 which will be released later this month.

mlentink
April 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Ah. But today there is....

PaulW2U
April 1st, 2013, 06:25 PM
There's no such thing as 12.12.

A Google search shows dozens of references to 12.12 though. :confused:

Just one example:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/216431

fyfe54
April 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM
And today's date is?

darkod
April 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM
A Google search shows dozens of references to 12.12 though. :confused:

Just one example:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/216431

Google will throw out the results including the mistakes of people. If you actually looked at that link, you will notice that immediately the first reply to the question says "I assume you mean 12.10 and not 12.12".

More people keep mentioning ubuntu 12.12, google will keep catching the search hits. Which doesn't mean there is an ubuntu version 12.12.

The first number is the year, and the second the month, of the release. Up to now, the last few years, it's released every 6 months in April and October, which means the version numbers are xx.04 and xx.10. The next one will be 13.04 released towards the end of April, as already mentioned.

I assume some people mistakenly thought 12.10 will continue with 12.11, 12.12, etc. Or they don't even bother to get the versions correct...

GameX2
April 1st, 2013, 06:45 PM
and today's date is?

Funny :D

PaulW2U
April 1st, 2013, 06:53 PM
Google will throw out the results including the mistakes of people. If you actually looked at that link, you will notice that immediately the first reply to the question says "I assume you mean 12.10 and not 12.12".

More people keep mentioning ubuntu 12.12, google will keep catching the search hits. Which doesn't mean there is an ubuntu version 12.12.

The first number is the year, and the second the month, of the release. Up to now, the last few years, it's released every 6 months in April and October, which means the version numbers are xx.04 and xx.10. The next one will be 13.04 released towards the end of April, as already mentioned.

Thanks for that clarification but having used the development release of one or more of Ubuntu flavours for the last two and a half years I'm more than aware of the version numbering.

I did look at the link I posted and made a point of posting that one for the very reason that the version number was corrected. It was one of many that seem to have quoted version 12.12 for no apparent reason. I guess that point was lost. My apologies.

I guess it really is time to stop posting here.