PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Annoying "System program problem detected" warning.

stepheny
April 1st, 2013, 09:07 AM
When I upgraded from 11.10 to 12.04 and later to 12.10 I started getting annoying warnings that:

"System program problem detected Do you want to report the problem now?"

If I say I do want to report the problem I am asked by Apport if I am prepared to send log files. If I confirm that I am I am asked if I am willing to do additional work to diagnose the problem. Naturally at first I answered yes. However this answer is always ignored and whatever I answer I get the question about log files again. Whether I answer yes or no I get the question about helping again. And so on until I click on X to close the dialog. Can something be done about this? And I don't mean just stopping Apport from reporting!

This does not give new users much confidence in Ubuntu and is another symptom of the way Ubuntu is going downhill fast. I have been an enthusiastic user of Ubuntu for over eight years but am sorely disappointed by the latest releases. Both 12.04 and 12.10 have broken things I use regularly, just as an example, with 12.04 I could not use a hover event to preview a music file but had to install and use gnome-sushi but with 12.10 gnome-sushi is broke and I have to install and use gloobus-preview.

carl4926
April 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
check
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2053494

stepheny
April 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
The only solution I can see in that thread is to disable Apport and as someone there said, this is like advising someone to turn off the smoke alarm when their house is on fire.

Switching of the smoke alarms or Apport cannot be taken seriously as a solution to this problem. It is sad that that is the only solution being offered although the problem has been there since 12.04.

carl4926
April 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM
The only solution I can see in that thread is to disable Apport and as someone there said, this is like advising someone to turn off the smoke alarm when their house is on fire.

Switching of the smoke alarms or Apport cannot be taken seriously as a solution to this problem. It is sad that that is the only solution being offered although the problem has been there since 12.04.

I hear you
Don't blame me. I'm just the messenger

mechdave
April 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM
When you say upgrade, was that a fresh install each time or just a dist upgrade? I have always had problems with the dist-upgrade all the way through the Ubuntu life cycle. I always have my /home partition separate so I can install a new system on the / partition without losing my /home files. I have noticed in the past errors like this crop up after upgrading without a fresh install.

stepheny
April 1st, 2013, 12:28 PM
It was an upgrade via Update Manager. I had no problems in the past upgrading from 9.10 - 10.04 - 10.10 - 11.04 - 11.10, the problem only started with the upgrade to 12.04. The problems I mentioned with broken packages (ie gnome-sushi) have nothing to do with whether and upgrade or new installation is done and the problem with Apport has been reported with new installations too, see the thread posted by carl4926. So I don't think I will re-install just yet.

I would like to see someone at Canonical start to take users seriously again. Ubuntu is today much less user friendly than it was two to three years ago.