PDA

View Full Version : First expenrience with the HUD - AWESOME

GameX2
April 1st, 2013, 01:33 AM
Hey guys!

For some reasons, I actually knew what the HUD was doing, but never had the reflex to use it.
Today, I've finally tried it (It was disabled by me, you know XD).

WOW?
I think the reason why I like Unity is because I use a lot keyboard shortcuts. Even on Windows, I abuse of the "Run" command, I know multiple commands (devmgmt.msc to start Device Manager for example. MUCH faster!).

I consider myself lucky to have discovered Ubuntu with 11.04, on a old P4. The hardware was too old for Unity, I never saw it until Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop (Received in April 2012).
My first contact with Unity was shocking, I was lost!

But now, I would tell the users to give it a try, it's so much faster then doing multiples clicks using the older GNOME desktop! :D

Anyways, back to the HUD. What I've realised, is that the HUD show the menu for EVERY windows on EVERY workspace. WOW. Awesome, seriously. I used to believe the HUD was only working with the windows having the focus.

Man, I can send commands to my music player, on the next workpace, without having to switch !! :O

Just wondering about something, however.
The HUD is perfectly working for Firefox, it show all menu entries. But for Clementine Music Player, it appear to only diplay the results of the first menu (Music > Open, Music > Read Audio CD, etc), while the other menus (Such as "Playlist" and "Tools") are not displayed, in the HUD. Annoying.

Is it normal?

Thanks! The HUD rock!
Long live Linux. :)
(Using this operating system since more than a year, now! Yay!)

blackbird34
April 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM
Clementine was originally forked from AmaroK, the KDE music player, so it doesn't integrate with Unity and HUD as well. But if you're on a laptop the media keys cover most usage cases.
Also, the new LibreOffice 4.0 from PPA uses HUD and the global menu at long last, so it's worth getting it!

GameX2
April 1st, 2013, 03:16 PM
Clementine was originally forked from AmaroK, the KDE music player, so it doesn't integrate with Unity and HUD as well. But if you're on a laptop the media keys cover most usage cases.
Also, the new LibreOffice 4.0 from PPA uses HUD and the global menu at long last, so it's worth getting it!

Thanks.
AmaroK is kind of bulky in my opinion, and is now built for Unity.

Is there a way I can map multiple keyboard shortcuts to one command (Maybe with CCSM?) ?
A small problem is that, yes I have a laptop with the Media keys (Don't even remember if they work with Clementine. I guess), but I mostly work on a VGA screen when I can. The external keyboard does not have media keys, so I've mapped Volume Up for "ALT-SUPER-Up" and Next Track to "ALT-SUPER-Right". This disable the media keys.
Any way to activate both?

I should try LibreOffice 4 soon, if it's stable enough (Is is still in Beta?) .. I used to work sometimes with LibreOffice Writer 3.0 sometimes, but I sometimes have compatibility issues when opening Word documents send from school - so I work on Word 2010 on Wine (Never crashed. Even if it does, Word save my document every minute, and is able to recover them. Tested). Too bad, the HUD won't work!

Thanks