PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.10 installer hangs on "Who are you?" screen

dc880610
March 31st, 2013, 10:12 PM
I've tried installing Ubuntu 12.10 three times today on my home-built computer. I am trying to install on an empty 120 GB solid state drive (Samsung SSD 840). All three times, the installer got to the "Who are you?" screen, at which point I entered my name and a password. Upon clicking "Continue," it doesn't move on to a new screen. The progress bar for "Copying files" fills up for about half an hour, and then it simply stops. Each time, after letting it sit for 10+ minutes, I simply gave up and restarted.

As suggested here (http://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fhelp.ubuntu.com%2Fcommunity%2F HowToMD5SUM&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHUVa9-rsjyqJgV8W-01uMH2bWWPw), I checked the integrity of my CD. Upon running the commands, there were no errors. So the CD appears to be fine. Any other suggestions?

dc880610
April 3rd, 2013, 02:54 AM
bump

By the way, I am new to Ubuntu, and the forums. I read the FAQ, but if I have posted this in the wrong place, or if there's anything else I should add to my post, please let me know.

Bashing-om
April 3rd, 2013, 04:26 AM
dc880610; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.
You have done proper in posting to this forum, and awaiting a response. Regretful none other to this time has been forthcoming.

Most likely, like me, none have encountered this installation problem before.
But, let us see what can be done to reach a solution.

Firstly, can you boot up the installCD into the "try ubuntu" mode?
Boot the installCD, soon as the bios screen clears depress any key ->purple splash screen; depress any key -> language screen; escape key to accept the default ->booting options screen.
Booting options screen; press f6 ( other options ) -> arrow down to the preset option(s) space or enter to accept and then the escape key to exit; try the "nomodeset" option first. If no joy, try others and different combinations.
Depress the enter key to continue the boot process.

Advise on the result/status upon completion. Further advise is pending.

just try'n to help

dc880610
April 3rd, 2013, 04:40 AM
Hi Bashing-om,

Thank you for the response.

Firstly, can you boot up the installCD into the "try ubuntu" mode?

Yes, I was able to enter into that mode to try out Ubuntu. I actually made my original post in Ubuntu, running off the installation CD! Everything seemed to work fine. I could get online with Firefox and everything.

It's getting late, so I will try your remaining suggestions tomorrow.

Thanks,
dc880610

Bashing-om
April 3rd, 2013, 05:20 PM
dc880610;

Roger that. Looking good. As you have no problems in the "try ubuntu" mode is but a small matter to get you up on the install.
Awaiting your advisement on the "nomodeset" options.

it ain't but a thing