PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 LTS Fails to Update Menus or Add New Choices

oldefoxx
March 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I was trying to add pinta, and it looks like it got onto my system as I can remove it and install it again, or if I try to install it without removeing it first, it makes no changes. By the way, my install and remove methods are with the terminal command apt-get.

Anyway, I went through the Main Menu and it does not show up there in any category. While I was there, I decided to add and drop some other things from the menu, and I found that the Main Menu process is not making any changes, so there is something wrong there.

Now some might argue I just should upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu, but I don't like the desktop changes that each newer version of Ubuntu seems to be moving towards. I tried 12.04 one time, and went back to 10.04. What I do now is try to hold off on major revisions until they have had time to work into the mainstream and get most of the bugs out, then hope that when I do move someone will be able to tell me how to restore the classic desktop layout, which I much prefer.

So right now I just want to get the Menus updating correctly in 10.04 if possible, and put off going to a later version for a good while yet.