PDA

View Full Version : Is there a tour?

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I'm sure you've seen the Welcome to Windows Tour program windows xp comes with, is there anything like that for Ubuntu for my tech illiterate family?

Paerez
July 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
there is some html uner the Examples folder that is linked from your home folder by default. Just fire up that page in firefox and it goes through a lot of the stuff.

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 10:43 PM
anything else?

aysiu
July 10th, 2006, 10:49 PM
There is in Linspire.

Generally, people in the Linux community frown on such things as intrusive and as treating the user like an idiot (whether you agree with the general Linux community or not may be another story).

The idea has been proposed before and shot down. Personally, I hate the Windows tour thing with a passion. I hate clippy. I hate the dog that "helps" you do searches in Windows. Maybe that's just me.

There's plenty of documentation around, but I think an optional tour that you're not prompted for wouldn't be a bad idea. The prompting is what annoys me. "Do you want to take a tour of Windows XP?"

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 10:50 PM
It would be nice if there was one that was optional

aysiu
July 10th, 2006, 10:54 PM
It would be nice if there was one that was optional
What would you like to be on the tour? Maybe someone hear would actually cook one up.

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 10:56 PM
A video showing the basic functions of popular applications, and some configuration options.

Paerez
July 10th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I like the html one, it gives you the control to look at the features you want to look at. Did you check it out?

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I couldn't find it. Where exactly is it?

imagine
July 10th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Maybe something like https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWelcomeCentre?

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Welcome center looks good, but its just a plan. Is there anything already made?

aysiu
July 10th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Welcome center looks good, but its just a plan. Is there anything already made?
There's Help, which is the little life preserver on the panel.

codypumper
July 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Thank you for your help. Between help and openoffice I am gonna make a Presentation.

Compucore
July 10th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Something along the lines with Tux the penguin buzzing aruond the screen you mean?? And in a cartoonish way too.

Compucore

A video showing the basic functions of popular applications, and some configuration options.

codypumper
July 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM
exactly...

Paerez
July 11th, 2006, 12:43 AM
here is the web example thingy:
file:///usr/share/example-content/book/ubuntubook-ch3-html/UsingUbuntuontheDesktop.html
just open that in firefox. You could make a link to it on the desktop or something.

codypumper
July 11th, 2006, 02:08 AM
thank you very much

Dr. Nick
July 11th, 2006, 05:09 AM
wow, never knew that this page existed
file:///usr/share/example-content/book/ubuntubook-ch3-html/UsingUbuntuontheDesktop.html

I didnt notice, but is that linked from the default ubuntu firefox homepage?

If not it would be cool if it were near the begennig so more people may see it, seems like alot of hardwork on something many people will not see.

Paerez
July 11th, 2006, 02:30 PM
When you create a new user, there is a folder in your home called "Examples" if you go in there, there is an example of many popular media types. One of them is called book-toc.html, and when you open that and click the link about using the desktop, it takes you to this file. Most people just delete the folder, but I thought I would take a look.

Jucato
July 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM
An interesting note: Only the Xubuntu Desktop Guide has a "Guided Tour" section: https://help.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/desktopguide/C/guided-tour-chap.html
(There is an offline version of this document when you install Xubuntu, and you can download a PDF copy)

Neither Ubuntu nor Kubuntu have this chapter in their Desktop Guides.

Hanj
July 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM
How about having a launcher on the desktop in the default installation, that brings up the guide in the examples directory? That wouldn't be too intrusive IMO.

Jucato
July 11th, 2006, 03:04 PM
There is an icon for that in the Desktop (Live) CD. Basically, it's just a link that's located in the ~/Desktop directory. But once installed, that link is moved from ~/Desktop to just ~/. I don't know why they did it that way, though. Probably they presumed that if you were installing from a Desktop CD, you'd be aware of its existence already, and if you were installing from an Alternate Install CD or upgrading from a previous version, you'd probably be knowledgeable enough for these kind of content.