PDA

View Full Version : Cairo-Dock is fantastic!

Ziski
March 27th, 2013, 06:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isiqVEcaio

Just installed Ubuntu again after dodging the Linux scene for years, and I've got to say while Unity has improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I used it (Which was when it first launched... ugh) it's still not my cup of tea. But man, Ubuntu is still fantastic in its ease of use. Got Cairo-dock up and running in no time and I love it. Just makes the whole experience that much better for me, pesonally. Still have a lot of fiddling round to do, and I've hopped right back in the deep end by completely removing Windows (for now at least) - and hey, so far pretty good.:)

carl4926
March 27th, 2013, 06:10 AM
It sure is
Xubuntu is really nice

Version Dependency
March 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I use Unity as my main desktop, but when I use a non-Unity derivative/distro I always install Cairo Dock. Works great in KDE, XFCE, and even LXDE/openbox. Even as a user that (usually) has no need for it, I find Cairo Dock and its continuous development and improvement a refreshing reminder of what makes F/OSS and the community around it great.

Ziski
March 27th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I haven't removed Unity, and it didn't seem bad by any stretch. Maybe I should give it a chance longer than five minutes. I've run into my first issue - alt-tab no longer works in a cairo-dock session! So far my work around is to just use cairo-dock to switch windows, I'm sure I'll find a fix sooner or later. Just need to motivate myself to read some documentation. Yep, Linux still feels like Linux - and I love it!

craig10x
March 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Yes...if you spend some time with unity (say about a week or two) you might be surprised how quickly you get use to it and begin to like it quite a bit....
That happened to many of us here, including myself :D

I have used Cairo Dock in the past, and it is quite excellent but i reached a point where i said "oh what the heck...just use the default unity" (lol) and have been ever since...

deadflowr
March 27th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I haven't removed Unity, and it didn't seem bad by any stretch. Maybe I should give it a chance longer than five minutes. I've run into my first issue - alt-tab no longer works in a cairo-dock session! So far my work around is to just use cairo-dock to switch windows, I'm sure I'll find a fix sooner or later. Just need to motivate myself to read some documentation. Yep, Linux still feels like Linux - and I love it!

If you wanna try unity for longer then five minutes, then I'd suggest holding down the super/windows key and look over all the keyboard shortcuts.

Ziski
March 27th, 2013, 07:47 AM
If you wanna try unity for longer then five minutes, then I'd suggest holding down the super/windows key and look over all the keyboard shortcuts.

Hey, that's pretty neat! I tried to screenshot while holding down the super key but it wouldn't let me. :( I want to set that shortcut as my wallpaper for more immediate reference. Back in Unity session, I was going to install Gnome 3 (Just to try it out), but I'll give Unity a fair run first.

carl4926
March 27th, 2013, 07:59 AM
gnome 3 / Unity

Not much in it IMO. Except I + unity for it's conservative use of desktop real estate

xc3RnbFO8P
March 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yes Cairo-Dock is fantastic

Jakin
March 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM
For once in the 4 or so years i have been using Cairodock, window preview thumbnails finally work in the dock. Cairo-Dock is awesome.

It makes me wonder the issues Cairo-Dock will have once Display managers start making changes in compatibility :(

deadflowr
March 27th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hey, that's pretty neat! I tried to screenshot while holding down the super key but it wouldn't let me. :( I want to set that shortcut as my wallpaper for more immediate reference. Back in Unity session, I was going to install Gnome 3 (Just to try it out), but I'll give Unity a fair run first.

Open up the dash and search for and open screenshot, then set the screenshot delay to any amount of time and take a shot, then press and hold the super key. Three seconds is usually enough time.

neu5eeCh
March 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the memory footprint of Cairo Dock?

fabounet
March 28th, 2013, 06:00 PM

You need to activate the window switcher in Compiz (install ccsm, launch it, and then enable the window switcher).

montag dp
March 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Out of curiosity, what's the memory footprint of Cairo Dock?On my system it's running at about 24 MB at the moment. I'm not sure how much that changes with time or from system to system.

neu5eeCh
March 28th, 2013, 11:44 PM
On my system it's running at about 24 MB at the moment. I'm not sure how much that changes with time or from system to system.

What do you get when you throw everything into the mix. I'm wondering how it compares to other DEs.