PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install a RAID 1 + Encrypted server

FreekyEy3s
March 26th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Hello all!

OKay, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to do this but everything I've read and done for the last 3 months hasn't worked so here I am. Hi!

So, I have made a basic home server before with ubuntu 10.04 just as 'Read/write accesss to all'.
Now I want to create a server to put in my office with:
RAID 1 (mirror)
My work and clients Data encrypted
Remote admininstration (so not have to plug a keyboard and monitor into the box everytime it get switched on after the weekend)
User/Group access restricted by passwords (and so if someone does the nick the box they can't get my data, at least not without some real know-how)

I have:
MSI MS-6547 ver 1
1 GB Ram (512 x1, 256 x2 DDR400)(likely upgrade to 2GB when when of the other PC's die)
Pentium 4 (2.6Ghz)
2 x 200GB SATA hard drive (when I get the damn thing to work I will add 2x 2TB drives)
Raid card for Sata SIL3114 (4Port)
ubuntu server 12.04 LTS i386
(as far as I can tell all the hardware has passed the scans I've given and the disc passed the checksum and integrity checks.)

I have read loads of guides and threads, bought a new RAID card (though I'll use software raid, apparently my other card wasn't supported, by anything) and still not manged to get this to work.
I plan on using Webmin for remote admin, but not had a working system to get that far and try it yet.

However, I am a complete novice at this and was doing this as a fun challenge (and as a more flexible alternative to our current NAS drive).
Now I'm just hoping someone could please point me in the right direction for a step by step guide to get this to work? I'm running out of coffee, and hair.

thank you in advance.

darkod
March 26th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Looks like something like this can help you:
http://hacksr.blogspot.com.es/2012/05/setup-ubuntu-1204-server-with-full-disk.html

Note that the tutorial uses LVM which you don't need to use if you don't want to, and it doesn't use mdadm software raid which you do want to use.

I guess you will have to create the /dev/md0 raid1 device first, and then encrypt that device (like they encrypt sda2 in the tutorial). After that use that encrypted device for /.

If you want other mount points you will probably need more md devices since each mount point needs a separate md device, encrypted or not.

FreekyEy3s
March 26th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Hello Darkod, thank you for that!

I haven't tried using LVM, but between your notes and that, I think it might actually be better.

So if I'm reading this right:
Initally create 2 partitons on each disk (say 300MB for boot and and the rest of the drive for LVM)
Then mdadm RAID 1 each of them
Md1 (300MB) will then be mounted as boot
Md2 (rest) will firstly be be encrypted (so it unlocks with 1 password, I like that), then LVM, then I can partiton the LVM to say 3GB for /swap, 10GB for /(root), everything else (my) /Data - as I want to keep my data seperate from OS.

This sounds great (and much easy than what I was trying recently), however, how will I be able to enter the password to unlock it on boot (as I don't want want to leave it running all the time)? Will I be able to do that over the network?

darkod
March 26th, 2013, 11:25 PM
The installation part sounds right. As for the password part I have no idea how would you enter it on headless server. Try googling about entering encryption password on headless ubuntu server or similar.

FreekyEy3s
March 27th, 2013, 01:21 PM
So a 'headless server' is one without a keyboard and mouse attached. I didn't realise. A whole new world of reading has opened to me.
Thank you Darkod!

I'll probably be back this weekend when I get the next thing wrong, but fingers crossed for now...

FreekyEy3s
April 10th, 2013, 11:37 PM
OKay, still not working. I get a 'Disk Failure, insert system...' blah message.
So, after convicing myself it can't be the way I installed it, I have now I found out that my motherboard doesn't support boot from HDDs attached to the PCI (SATA RAID) card (the previous card I used automatically set itself as the primary boot device - though didn't like linux - this new one has no such feature). I can't find a fix on-line for this, so gonna go a cry for bit...

BUT after that, can I just ask, is it possible to attach 2 x IDE HDD RAID1 for /Boot, /Swap, /(Root) and put (my)/Data on the PCI cards SATA RAID1 HDDs, then still have the whole lot encrypted with 1 passphrase to unlock/mount at boot?
Oh, and if it is, is there anything I should be wary of (e.g. if a disk fails, or when remote accessing).

thank you in advance.