PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brightness control command which requires root permission in a script

Evan I S
March 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Hi all,

I would like to ask for help regarding automatically run command as root. I need to run below command line in a terminal to set brightness for the sake of my sensitive eyes.

setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=15

I tried to make it as a script but not working. This is first time though.
#! /bin/sh
sudo -s "my password" <- to login as root
setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=15 <- since I gained root, run the command right away.
exit 0 <- let system know script is finished

However, setpci command required root permission. What I am doing now so is that as soon as xwindow loads open a terminal window then login as root and then type the setpci command. I am seeking a way to make these steps automate itself after finishing boot up. I have been exploring google since lunch time because of it(roughly 10hours). However, I could not find a solution for it yet.](*,) I am novice in a boot camp of LINUX. It would be great that give me explicit instructions as much you can. :-D I much appreciate it!

Best wishes,
Evan S

Cheesemill
March 26th, 2013, 06:46 PM
You can add an entry to your sudoers file so that the setpci command can be run without prompting for a password.

First run the following commands to open the sudoers file for editing...

sudo -i
EDITOR=nano visudo
Now add the following line to the bottom of the file replacing username with your actual username.

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/setpci

Hit CTRL+x and save the file and then exit your root shell.

You should now be able to run 'sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=15' without being prompted for a password, so just add the command to your startup applications using the 'Startup Applications' application.