PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu desktop is half black and wrong colors.

stickjoe
March 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM
After a fresh install of Ubuntu desktop i find my desktop to be half black and half weird messed up colors. Is there anyway to fix this?

Frogs Hair
March 26th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Could you describe the computer and Ubuntu version please. Select the print screen key and then you can upload the thumbnail to the forums with the manage attachments option below the reply box.

stickjoe
March 26th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Its Ubuntu desktop 12.10 64 bit. I don't have the system specs on me but it is a server machine if that helps.
i had already taken this picture sorry for no print screen im not typing on the same machine.

Frogs Hair
March 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the forums BTW

It definitely looks like a graphics problem, but without some more information about the computer there isn't much to be done at the moment. If I give you a command to display system information it doesn't help because you can't read it or post it here.

stickjoe
March 26th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I found this on the website where i bought it. "Super Micro 512F-280B Dual Xeon Quad-Core L5420 2.5GHz 8GB 250GB 1U Mini Server w/Video & Dual GbLAN"

Frogs Hair
March 26th, 2013, 04:52 PM
The video specifications (w/video ?) are important because there is no way to suggest a video driver installation without that information if there is one available. The server editions don't include a GUI, so I guess it depends how you intend to use the installation as to weather that is important. The cpu and memory are fine for all flavors Ubuntu.

Lubuntu and Xubuntu have lower video requirements than the default Ubuntu desktop edition and don't include Unity. Lubuntu uses the least resources of the two.

http://lubuntu.net/taxonomy/term/226

http://xubuntu.org/news/tag/12-10/

gordintoronto
March 27th, 2013, 01:01 AM
If you were able to boot a LiveCD or LiveUSB, you can open Terminal and enter this command:
lspci

It should produce just over a dozen lines of output, and one of them should include "VGA". If you were to post that line, it should help to solve your problem.