PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Getting tty1, can't get past it

Uehm
March 26th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Hi,

I just installed xubuntu tonight as I finished my new pc (first build, woo!). I was in the process of setting everything up, and read that I need the amd drivers. Tried to download it, failed, since it said I needed to be a super user or something. Restarted for whatever reason, and the black boxes were around my screen. They were about an inch thick so I couldn't really live with it. I followed a tutorial online to try to install AMD's catalyst thing, and when I restarted to see if it worked I got the tty1 thing. I can log into my account, type my username in and my password, but I have no idea what to do after that. I'm entirely new to ubuntu so if you could explain it like you would to an older person that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Uehm

Uehm
March 26th, 2013, 07:27 AM
And while we're on the topic of broken things for me, I can't get sound from my tv. I'm using my tv as my monitor and connecting it with an hdmi cable to my computer. I haven't tested earphones but I'm pretty sure they'll work. I've used the sound app thing to change my output devices, but I still can't get it to work. Had someone help me too, still didn't work.

spacesamurai
March 27th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I guess we need to look at these one at a time.

For your graphic issue, you always have to be careful when installing the driver provided from AMD. It will probably not be tested for this OS. It is better to install from the following:

Ubuntu Software Center and go to Edit » Software Sources » Additional Drivers.

Please report back how this goes, and we can then take it from there.