PDA

View Full Version : What's the name of your machines and home network?

AmbiguousOutlier
March 25th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I've always called my computers by names of fruit. My main laptop is called Orange, Melon is my media center PC, Berry is my NAS and I've got a bunch of other "fruit" for various purposes. They all sit on my windows style home network which is called Orchard. (Although I don't have a computer called Apple.)

I'm now having the brilliant idea of wanting my build my own servers, a proxy server and file server for starters. So I thought I would buy the domain orchard.??? so it's nice and neat and professional but alias they are all taken.

So now I have to come up with a new theme and rename all my machines.

I'm just wondering what everyone else calls their machines and networks? I'm needing some creative inspiration.

(I know none of this is necessary but we're geeks aren't we?!)

deadflowr
March 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM
I name all my operating systems after anime characters.

arsenic23
March 25th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I come up with a naming scheme each year and every machine I build in that year follows that rule or theme. This way I can tell how old they are without thinking.

I have (in chronological order):
Bumble (This year - lovable children's characters)
Elsee (2 years ago - a particular comic)
Firetruck
Bigby (4 years ago - Animal characters from fiction)
Peanut (5 years ago - nuts, fruits, berries, similar food)
Acorn
---------- These are gone now but I will list them anyway.
Megatron (8 years ago - Transformers)
Cliffjumper
Sticky (9 years ago - physical characteristics of the computer) [ It was a used laptop someone had spilled pop onto the original keyboard of. I feel that needed explaining.]
Woglinde (11 years ago - fictional space craft)
Soyokaze

SeijiSensei
March 25th, 2013, 10:04 PM
When my daughter was young and into Pokemon, I named my machines after Pokemon characters. Snorlax (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Snorlax_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29) was the name of my firewall. Later when she moved on to Harry Potter, snorlax became fluffy (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Fluffy), the name of the Cerberus-styled character in that story.

Gyokuro
March 25th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Named after Happy Tree friends: Lumby my workstation and laptop Lifty.

mreq
March 26th, 2013, 08:16 AM
by brand - sony vaio - sova which means "owl" in our language ):P

Linuxratty
March 26th, 2013, 03:27 PM
White Box and Revo.
Other names have been Raven and Dragon's Egg.

WhaleVPS
March 26th, 2013, 04:35 PM
My network used to be named after countries.

The firewall was "'Merica", cause it protected the rest of my countries / systems from "North Korea" or "China" (Otherwise known as the "Internet"). My router was known as "Switzerland" cause it held all of the "World.local" (my internal domain name) packets. I had other countries which were constantly in conflict and ganging up on one and other. My wireless SSID was "Space" and my phone was "The moon" since it never really connected into "World".

angry_johnnie
March 27th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I just use random names

My local network is called makkuro kurosuke, from Hayao Miyasaki's "My Teighbor Totoro"

The main desktop pc is called grond, after the wolf's head from "The Return of the King"

The media server is called sphynx, mainly because it's the first thing i thought about when i named it.

Laptop 1 is nazgul, after the wraiths from LOTR

Laptop 2 is lazarus, because it was dead when i got it for free

Laptop 3 is punchy, because i'd just watched Rocky.

The wii is called gandalf, because it's white.

Phones are walter and waldo, because... well... no reason :p

White Rasta
March 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM
My 3 screened monster build is called Ziggy (Ziggy Marley)
My Wifes Dell 1501 is called Oprah (Oprah Winfrey)
My Dell 1525 is called Rita (Rita Marley)
My Dell Dimension p4 is Called Rosetta (former Girlfriend)
My Thinkpad x230 is called Mishonne (Walking Dead Character)
And oh yeah the name of my network is Rastas Pipe

coutts99
March 27th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Moons of Jupiter

Io
Thebe
Karpo
Hades

etc etc

JRV
March 27th, 2013, 02:43 PM
My desktop machines are named after Norton motorcycles, my laptops after Velocettes.

mamamia88
March 27th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm lazy all my devices are named shawn-nexus7, shawn-arch, shawn-debian, shawn-ubuntu, shawn-vita, shawn-ps3 so on and so forth.

DMGrier
March 27th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Computer name is"UbuntuPC"
Network name is: "UbuntuLinux"

I know not very original, I did however want to keep my network simple since when other people log onto there internet they will have to see my network and maybe not very effective but some type of advertising for Canonical.

zer010
March 28th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Network name: ZER0NET (Zer0's my name)
SSID: Nexus (Fitting for the central access point)
Laptop: fujin (I wanted something symbolizing my first laptop's portability, so I went with the Shinto god of wind)
Desktop: 0home (Lazily keeping the zer0 theme)

yefeng
March 28th, 2013, 02:31 AM
my own name

cprofitt
March 28th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Hmm...

Home systems are:
Tardis + model number (Tardis-T530, Tardis-T500, Tardis-W520)

Work Systems have been named in the following memes:

Muppet names (Googel really threw some people because they thought I misspelled Google)
Lord of the Rings Characters
Finnish Mythology
Greek Philosophers

I am debating changing my home computers to names like Wintermute, Armitage and various other names from the books of Gibson.

Metallion
March 28th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Mine are all named after food.

My desktop: Porra (Southern Spanish thing similar to gazpacho)
My old laptop: Stoofvlees (Belgian beef stew)
My old work laptop: Frietjes (Belgian chips)
My current work laptop: Castella (Japanese cake)
My current vm host laptop: Kimchi (Korean fermented cabbage)

My wifi sid used to be Potatoesalad. :)

kyalami321
March 28th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Daphne. after the name of some emulator I can't recall at the moment. Also the name of the princess in that laserdisc arcade game of the 80s w/Dirk the Daring.

Jakin
March 28th, 2013, 06:29 AM
"Lappy" for my laptop.
"Desktop" for my desktop... sometimes i'll joking say to a friend "i need to jump onto the "beast" for a moment... lol; insinuating its power.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM
For my home setup....:-k

Currently, my home wireless network is named "Not Yours". I also have a home wired network with no name.

The computers on the home network have names that were thought up by a genius:

Compaq [model designation]
Dell [model designation]
Lenovo [model designation]
Toshiba [model designation]
etc. [model designation]

My computers are behind a router; therefore, no one else knows what they are named and the names are not going to impress anyone. As long as I know which computer I am logged into and what it is used for the computer's name doesn't matter.

:lolflag:

Choragos
March 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM
All of my machines are named after German cities. My development projects are all code named after stars, and grouped by constellation. I used to name them all after famous cycling climbs, but I started to run out :(

Irihapeti
March 30th, 2013, 12:02 AM
My wired network has no name.

My wireless network is called "Virus_den".
(In my apartment block, there are many networks, quite a few with whimsical names, and a small number with names that would get me into trouble with the mods if I posted them here. :) )

The actual devices have the hugely-creative names of "<myinitials>-desktop", "<myinitials>-laptop" and "<phone-model-number>".

At one time, I gave a phone the BlueTooth ID of "<model-number>-viruses", but changed it after I had to submit some error logs (and felt a bit stupid about the device name). :)

teward
March 30th, 2013, 01:07 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you don't want to ask me that question, because you won't like the answer. I can say though that the answer is sufficient enough to get me slapped. :P

CompyTheInsane
March 30th, 2013, 01:31 AM
Gaming rig - d0g (From Half-Life 2)
Retired Gateway M305CRV laptop - wasteland (Also from HL2)
Main/LAN Party laptop, an Acer Aspire 5560 - vortigaunt (Also from HL2)
IBM ThinkPad T42 - thebluspy (From Team Fortress 2)

sandyd
March 30th, 2013, 04:46 AM
Home:

Router: kimmi.lax1.sandydpnet.me (this is actually a true router running vyatta since my normal cisco router is exhibiting some weird issues)
Development Laptop: sandyd-devel
Desktop: cbarjaval-desktop
Laptop: cbarjaval-mobile
MacBook: cbarjaval-mbp

Outside:

Router #2 (LAX): caitlin.lax2.srv.sandydpnet.me

Server #1: Amanda
Server #2: Kathryn
Server #3: Isabella
Server #4: Natalie

Router #3 (ATL): chelsea.atl1.srv.sandydpnet.me

Server #1: Kaylee
Server #2: Cheryl
Server #3: Hailey (thanks to Unit193 from #uf)
Server #4: Lisa (also thanks to Unit193 from #uf)

CharlesA
March 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Physical machines are named after ancient gods/folklore, virtual machines are named after Planets/Moons/Whatever I feel like.

Server: Thor
Desktop1: Neptune
Desktop2: Atlas
Desktop3: Odin
Laptop1: Apophis
Laptop2: Anubis
Laptop3: Osirus

VM1: Sol
VM2: Luna
VM3: Tardis
VM4: Serenity

Oh, and my main router is named "Gargoyle" for obvious reasons.

blackbird34
March 31st, 2013, 11:13 AM
I called my laptop "Macondo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macondo)" when i installed Precise.
Never crossed my mind having a naming theme for computers, but when I get something else I think I'll stick to the same Gabriel Garcia Marquez theme. "Macondo" feels very homely :D

ciscostudent561
April 25th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I didnt choose a naming convention... =\