PDA

View Full Version : What is the 'best' IDE for python development?

bwallum
March 25th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hi

I'm running Raring AMD64 and want to start programming in Python. I've done a Coursera (Interactive Programming in Python) course and now want to start my own project, showing a graphical animated representation of my Polarised Big Bang hypothesis.

What I would like is some help in identifying the most suitable Integrated Development Environment for the project. Which one would you use and why?

Thank you!

wingnut2626
March 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM
eric, because it is the bomb

llanitedave
March 25th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Geany, because I'm used to it.
SPE, even though it doesn't seem to be updated any more.
Eclipse + PyDev, because it's a beast that does everything.
Emacs, because a lot of people like it even though I don't.
VIM, see above.

All of these are the 'best'.
So are a few others I haven't mentioned.

Just pick one and run with it.

llanitedave
March 25th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I might think about giving eric another shot, BTW. I used it a couple of years ago and it was a bit buggy. Looks like it's gotten a lot of updates since then.

Cheesemill
March 25th, 2013, 09:07 PM
My favourite Python IDE is Ninja-IDE.
http://ninja-ide.org/

memilanuk
March 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I like Eclipse + PyDev... and Spyder. I keep trying to like vim + rope + etc. etc. etc. but it's just not clicking for me.

xb12x
March 26th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I've tried many Python IDE's.

I like Wingware's Wing IDE 101. It's a free version of their professional product. It works on both Linux and Windows and with any version of Python, 2.x.x or 3.x.x.

http://wingware.com/downloads/wingide-101

LuisGMarine
March 27th, 2013, 05:53 AM
DrPython is great for starting out. It forces you to type all the code since there is no "auto-complete" feature. This is perfect when you are first learning to code, making sure that you understand proper syntax.

+1 for Eclipse and PyDev. I just recently started using Eclipse and seriously it's amazing. I use it to code Java, Python, and C++. I personally could not ask for more.

Best bet is to try them all out and pick for yourself. There is a lot of options good options out there.

imagecko
April 10th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I usually use Eclipse or Geany.

My favourite Python IDE is Ninja-IDE.
http://ninja-ide.org/

Ninja seems nice. I have to try that.

Nytram
April 10th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I mostly use Geany because it's lightweight, fast and easy to learn and use. For a lightweight IDE it has quite a lot a lot of features, enough to meet my needs, and I find I don't need all the "bells&whistles" of a full-blown IDE.

Bodsda
April 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Not an IDE, but vim is my choice

Bresser
April 11th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Don't use python because when you run it, it wont ask you for the input its supposed to

r-senior
April 11th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Have you raised this issue as a bug? Do you have an example?

memilanuk
April 11th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Don't use python because when you run it, it wont ask you for the input its supposed to

a) Totally the wrong spot for this kind of off-the-wall comment - start your own thread.
b) If python isn't asking you for the input you think it should, then *you* most likely are doing something wrong, not python itself.

Carl H
April 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
I just use GEdit and the command line.

I've tried various IDEs but cos I use and develop on a variety of platforms, I wanted something that was consistant across them all, and simple. (I found Eric to be over the top).

King Dude
April 24th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Notepad.

Lol. Hmm, honestly I have no idea. Unlike C++, Python has a clean enough syntax to where I've never really had to use an IDE.

Carl H
March 12th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Geany is very good and available in the repos.

memilanuk
March 14th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Actually, with the community version of PyCharm being cross-platform and free, we might have a new winner! Its a bit over the top for my limited needs, but the 'code intelligence' is really, really nice for those of us who don't have everything memorized yet. I sprung for the pay version because of its extended support for a couple other frameworks in particular.