PDA

View Full Version : Most robust file system?

joker
July 10th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I need to know what the best file system is for storage of many smallish (3-10mb) files on a large >200GB partition.

A little background.
Currently I have all my music CDs ripped to a 200GB seagate (its not full) hard drive formatted as NTFS (read only access in ubuntu). Unfortunately, about once every couple months (which is really bad as I only boot to windows maby once a week), windows finds an error on the drive at bootup and "fixes" it by hosing (files names no longer correspond to the contents of the file) half the files on the drive. I have had the drive replaced once and am still experiancing the same issues, so I don't know if it is a hardware issue or a windows issue or both. All I can say is I am tired of restoring it.

Anyway, I bought yet another drive and would like to use it with linux for the same purpose. So what would the most robust FS be? I am not concerned with speed, I just want a FS which can properly deal with an error when they come up.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

aysiu
July 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
It does sound like a hardware issue, not a filesystem issue.

joker
July 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
I agree, I am going to have this drive sent in under warrenty too. I have had no issues with the other 2 drives in the machine. I just don't understand why windows check disk program borks the contents as thoroughly as it does. While I would love to know, it isn't my primary reason for the inquary.

I am asking the question because I don't use windows much anymore so it just makes sence to set up the new drive under Ubuntu, as I have to restore all the data again anyway. I just want to be sure I am using the best method available.