PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ultimate Edition 3.5 / Ubuntu 12.04

UltimateCat
March 23rd, 2013, 06:50 AM
SOLVED

Hi:

Before I burn to DVD/CD the ISO file I wanted to outrule the uncertainty that I am having.

The first ISO I found off of the Ultimate Ed website was a ISO but it was a BIN file-
I do not know what this type of file is. For USB? Please eloborate-

I am thinking that the ISO file that is in the code tags is the right one but it did not say 'LIVE ISO' (Or) 'raw Image'
Is there a difference and would this file be the right one to burn?
Is "ISO file" sufficient enough to burn and install or do I have the wrong type?

When I went to the site (sourceforge.net) and downloaded the ISO file this is the description that was given.

Ultimate Ed 3.5
ultimate-edition-3.5-x64.iso
Which is a : ISO file (3.3GB)
iweb.dl.sourceforge.net

I'm trying to understand wheter LIVE ISO/raw image is all that important.
I'm sure you understand I don't want to waste a new DVD+R and burn the wrong file.

In the past I was able to burn a LIVE ISO image for Debian and Fedora and installed- no- problem.
UE is a litlle more complex!

Kindly, set the record straight.

dino99
March 23rd, 2013, 09:31 AM
if you can use a usb stick, its easier; otherwise always burn at the slowest speed with k3b

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

UltimateCat
March 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the link.

In the past a friend of mine installed Ultimate Ed for me because I didn't know how-

I even went as far as asking Ultimate Edition OZ for help and well; they quickly replied but I still don't understand.
They are really good at what they do there and the support is good!

I'll keep trying to understand as I am not one to give up.

What really drives me crazy is I installed Fedora manually and Debian (LIVE by DVD/CD) but putting UE 3.5 on a USB illudes me-](*,)

Doesn't the USB memory stick have to be formated a certain way?

grahammechanical
March 23rd, 2013, 10:44 PM
What did the people at Ultimate Edition advise you? I use DVD+RW disks. These I can re-use. This is what I see when I download a Ubuntu ISO image , raring-desktop-amd64.iso. I simply put the DVD+RW disk in the DVD drive, open the Nautilus file manager, select the ISO and right click and select Write to disk. And Nautilus does the rest.

We do not know what operating system you are using. If it is Ultimate Edition, then how you do things in that distribution is beyond me. I do not use it. I can only share what I have learned using Ubuntu. And this is a Ubuntu forum.

UltimateCat
March 29th, 2013, 03:21 PM
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087323)grahammechanical (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087323):

Thanks for the reply-

Ultimate Edition 3.5 was built off oc Ubuntu 12.04

The instructions that Ultimate Edition gave me are for installing UE3.5 by usb pendrive/usb memory stick.
I didn't understand tho I read it like 5 times.

Ultimate Edition uses the same Utility; "APT" as Ubuntu

I'm thinking that I can just right click on the ISO of UE 3.5 my friend put on the USB memory stick for me and tell Brasero on my Debian system to burn it-

It doesn't have to be installed 'only the way' that UE told me right? grahammechanical?

UltimateCat
April 16th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Burned the Live Iso of Ultimate Edition to DVD+R.

Now looking for a laptop to install it on--