PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from yahoo mail to gmail

azmyth
March 23rd, 2013, 03:20 AM
I've had my yahoo account for awhile but I want to migrate to gmail. My yahoo mail gets loaded with spam. I have yahoo plus so I can do all the email imports and contacts etc. I want to close the yahoo account but what concerns me is that I have some account out there and someone can sign up my old email address and start accessing an account that I've forgot. I've been working on this for some time so I have all the big ones switched over to the new email. I guess yahoo won't allow someone to sign up my old email for 90 days?

Anyone have any experience doing this?

PS: I hope this is the correct forum.

mips
March 23rd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Why don't you setup gmail to fetch your yahoo mail which it will filter for spam. Stop using the yahoo account but leave it dormant for a few months before cancelling it.

pfeiffep
March 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
I want to close the yahoo account but what concerns me is that I have some account out there and someone can sign up my old email address and start accessing an account that I've forgot. I've been working on this for some time so I have all the big ones switched over to the new email. I guess yahoo won't allow someone to sign up my old email for 90 days?

I also have a yahoo email account and didn't like all the spam. I created a gmail account to import all my yahoo email. Additionally ISP provided email is also imported to gmail. I didn't want to take the effort to resubsrcibe and notify all contacts of my new email addresses. So now when I check my email all the email is available in one web access and gmail is superb at filtering spam. If you also with to use an email client on your pc Thunderbird is an excellent choice. If you decide to use it take advantage of IMAP.:)

mips
March 23rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
I didn't want to take the effort to resubsrcibe and notify all contacts of my new email addresses. So now when I check my email all the email is available in one web access and gmail is superb at filtering spam. If you also with to use an email client on your pc Thunderbird is an excellent choice. If you decide to use it take advantage of IMAP.:)

The beauty of letting gmail fetch email from other providers is that once you reply to on of your contacts and they wanna reply back to you the reply to address will be you gmail address. You can slowly ween yourself of other providers this way and your contacts will have your new address. The only instance where you really have a problem is with companies you deal with (banks etc) that have your email address as a static entry, these you have to manually update on your profiles/account settings.

pfeiffep
March 24th, 2013, 02:20 AM
+1 ... I still have my yahoo account from 1996 no need to change anything!

VirginiaDrifter
April 1st, 2013, 01:56 AM
Why don't you setup gmail to fetch your yahoo mail which it will filter for spam. Stop using the yahoo account but leave it dormant for a few months before cancelling it.

What mips said.

I am in the same situation. I have gmail import my yahoo mail so all I have to open is gmail. For the last 2 weeks I've been keeping track of what mail I get from yahoo and slowly weeding them over to my gmail address. I'm going to give it another 2 months, and that should catch all the yahoo mail and get it changed over. Then, as mips said, let it sit dormant for about 3 months and cancel.

mr john
April 1st, 2013, 03:09 PM
Last week I set all my Yahoo emails to be forwarded to my gmail account. I've been using my Yahoo email address since they stated doing email, but recently I've gotten tired of controversial news articles appearing when all I want to do is check my email. This is working well for me. I used my yahoo address to sign up for alot of web services and stores so I´m afraid to completely cancel the account.