PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Holding back packages during upgrade

johnbox
March 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I'm doing an upgrade on a ubuntu server (running sudo apt-get upgrade), but I don't want to upgrade any packages from a particular repository. I'm concerned with introducing dependency issues if I don't update them. I have two questions

1. In terms of dependencies is there a difference between removing the repository from sources.list.d, and running the hold back command for packages in that repository:

echo "<package_name> hold" | dpkg --set-selections

2. If I hold back a package I understand that other packages dependent on newer versions of the held back package will be prevented from being updated. Is the same true if the dependency is the other way. I.e. if the held back package is dependent on an older version of a package to be updated will it be prevented from updating?

Thanks

schragge
March 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
1. In terms of dependencies is there a difference between removing the repository from sources.list.d, and running the hold back command for packages in that repositoryYes, there is a difference, but not in terms of dependencies, see below about how dependencies work. Removing a repository doesn't prevent installing newer versions of same packages from another repositories if there are any. Obviously, if those packages were available only from the disabled repository, this would be equivalent to putting them on hold. Note also that aptitude may (and most probably will) ignore dpkg hold settings.

2. If I hold back a package I understand that other packages dependent on newer versions of the held back package will be prevented from being updated. Is the same true if the dependency is the other way. I.e. if the held back package is dependent on an older version of a package to be updated will it be prevented from updating? Yes, it's true, but only if versioned dependencies explicitly prevent it.

Consider the following situation. You put package foo on hold. This won't prevent newer versions of bar from being installed:

Package: foo
Version: 1
Depends: bar (>= 0.5)

OTOH, this sure would prevent any version of bar newer than 0.5 from being installed:

Package: foo
Version: 1
Depends: bar (= 0.5)

The same is true for the reverse dependencies, too.

This dependency will be satisfied by any version of foo:

Package: baz
Version: 1.201303
Depends: foo

The following dependency won't be satisfied by foo version 1, so this version of baz cannot be installed as long as foo v.1 is on hold:

Package: baz
Version: 1.201305
Depends: foo (>> 1)

johnbox
March 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
That's great, thanks very much for your reply.

schragge
March 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
BTW, if you want to put on hold all packages from a specific repository, you may consider following. Each repository puts its package index under /var/lib/apt/lists/. The files there are named after deb strings in /etc/apt/sources.list and/or /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list. So, say if you have enabled the Medibuntu (http://www.medibuntu.org) repository and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list contains a string starting with

deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/... there will be a corresponding package index for medibuntu under

/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.medibuntu.org_..._Packages

That means you can put all packages from Medibuntu on hold with

sudo apt-mark hold `sed -n s/^Package://p /var/lib/apt/lists/*.medibuntu.*Packages`
As long as you aren't mixing packages for different architectures (say amd64 and i386), the command above will work as expected. However, in a multiarch environment it will lock only packages for the native architecture. Setting on hold packages for a foreign architecture will require something like the following (provided that the foreign architecture is i386)

sudo apt-mark hold `sed -nr 's/^Package:\s*(\S+)/\1 \1:i386/p' /var/lib/apt/lists/*.medibuntu.*Packages`
Trying to put on hold only actually installed packages from a 3rd part repository further complicates the matter:

awk -F':[ \t]*' '/^Package:/,/^$/{
if(/^Package:/){p=$2;a=""}
if(/^Architecture:/&&$2!="all")a=":"$2
if(/^$/)print p""a" hold"
}' /var/lib/apt/lists/*.medibuntu.*Packages|sort -uk1,1|
join - <(dpkg -l|awk '/^ii/{print$2}'|sort)|sudo dpkg --set-selections
sudo dpkg -Pa

Using combine (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man1/combine.1.html) provided by package moreutils together with dctrl-tools simplifies this task a bit:

sudo apt-get install moreutils dctrl-tools
alias _=combine
_ <(grep-dctrl -sPackage,Architecture '' /var/lib/apt/lists/*.medibuntu.*Packages|tbl-dctrl -Hd:) and <(grep-status -FStatus -sPackage,Architecture 'ok installed'|tbl-dctrl -Hd:) _|
sed 's/$/ hold/'

The method used by ppa-purge (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man1/ppa-purge.1.html) to select all packages installed from a PPA is also worth mentioning:

sed -n s/^Package://p /var/lib/apt/lists/*.medibuntu.*Packages|sort -u|xargs -r dpkg -l 2>/dev/null|awk '/^ii/,$0=$2" hold"'

Using aptitude (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man8/aptitude.8.html) makes the task look quite straightforward. Unfortunately, aptitude's hold state has nothing to do with dpkg's hold state and won't be honored by any other package management tool. Still, if you manage your packages exclusively through aptitude, it may be convenient:

sudo aptitude hold ~i~OMedibuntu

Otherwise, the best available option is to feed the output of aptitude search either to apt-mark hold or directly to dpkg:

sudo apt-mark hold `aptitude --disable-columns -F%p search ~i~OMedibuntu`

or

aptitude --disable-columns -F'%p hold' search ~i~OMedibuntu|sudo dpkg --set-selections
sudo dpkg -Pa