PDA

View Full Version : Latest Nvidia Driver Updates Breaks My GUI

ezacharyk
March 22nd, 2013, 02:49 AM
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. The other day, the reccommended updates had an Nvidia driver update with it. I ran the updates like I do every time they popup. Yesterday, I turned on my computer for the first time after shutting down when the updates completed. Instead of the usual GUI login screen, I was presented with the terminal comand prompt.

I have been racking my brain all day and the only thing that provides any change is purging Nvidia from my computer using the following script:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia* && sudo apt-get autoremove

Doing this and restarting presents me with the GUI, albeit in a very cramped 1024x768 screen resolution. That and 800x600 are the only options available to me in the Display settings window. Prior to this latest update, I could go all the way up to 1920X1080.

I am running an Asus laptop with a Core i7 CPU and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M graphics card.

I tried using all the available Nvidia drivers in the Additional Drivers section. Of course none of the available drivers have names that I recognize from before the update.

Any help in getting the Nvidia drivers working would be great. Programming and gaming just can't happen in my current state.

papibe
March 22nd, 2013, 02:55 AM
Hi ezacharyk.

Is there an 'nvidia-current' version? I'd recommend that.

If not, could you post a screenshot of the options offered to you?

Regards.

ezacharyk
March 22nd, 2013, 03:10 AM
I tride running "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current" in terminal and after rebooting, I was back where I started with no GUI.

Here are my driver options:

http://ezknight.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/add_driver_options.png

ezacharyk
March 22nd, 2013, 03:18 AM
sorry, double post.

papibe
March 22nd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Try this running this:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
then restart.

Let us know how it goes.

ezacharyk
March 22nd, 2013, 04:17 AM
Try this running this:

sudo nvidia-xconfig
then restart.

Let us know how it goes.

That did it. I had to install the nvidia-current driver first. But I am back in action. Thanks for the help.