PDA

View Full Version : I think I'll stop using Opera now

slimdog360
July 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I installed Opera 9 a few hours ago and got it the way I liked it. After maybe 2-3 hours of surfing the web it froze, make that everything froze. I tried force quit but nothing would work.
Just as I had my fingers poised over ctrl-alt-backspace everything became unstuck and the force quit screen finally came up, though I didnt need it anymore. I tried getting rid of the force quit screen but it wouldnt go away so I checked the memory usage of Opera and this is what I saw.
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6673/screenshot34jh.png
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6673/screenshot34jh.png

159MB it was using, Opera really need to make some changes to their browser. I think I'll stop uing Opera now.

zenwhen
July 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Firefox tops that memory usage nearly constantly for most users. I prefer Firefox myself, but this is a pretty bad reason to choose it.

drizek
July 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
ya, if you like opera dont stop cause of the high memory use. I have a laptop with 192mb ram and it runs just fine with a bunch of tabs open, even if i have azureus or openoffice running in the background.

_simon_
July 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM
I too gave up but after being pointed in the direction of the weekly builds today, I installed the latest Opera build for linux and have been using it all day without any problems!

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

There have been many stability fixes since version 9 was released so maybe like me, you will have more luck with the latest weekly build.

G Morgan
July 10th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Firefox tops that memory usage nearly constantly for most users. I prefer Firefox myself, but this is a pretty bad reason to choose it.

Seriously. Mines only reading 60MB at the moment. I've never had any huge problems with Firefox's memory leaks.

bruce89
July 10th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I'm only getting 75MiB at the moment, but that is quite a lot for just this one page. This is with Epiphany.

_simon_
July 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM
currently with just this forum open and Opera 9.01 build 383 it's using 40.9MiB

missmoondog
August 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
i've been an avid opera supporter since version 5 days, but that was on winblows! since switching to kubuntu/ubuntu, i find epiphany to be my browser of choice. i prefer galeon over firefox also. i do still use opera on winblows full time and ocassionally on ubuntu.

due to all the firebox fanboyism (nauseates me!) and the fact it crashes way to often and the memory sloppiness, i despise firefox!! but, that's just my opinion! ;)

Biltong (Dee)
August 18th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I use Opera all the time and have never had a problem. I have Firefox installed but find it a bit too fancy.

lotusleaf
August 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Wake me when Opera is open source and I'll give it another try. Until then, meh. :)

Kernel Sanders
August 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Opera is a good browser, but as it has poor/non-existant support for many sites that are coded for IE only :( (A surprising number of sites actually)

Firefox can render those sites with no problems btw

Firefox ftw! :p

jdong
August 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Be careful measuring memory usage -- most easily obtainable measurements are inaccurate. On my system with 1GB RAM, there are times where adding up the Mem Usage or RSS columns yields 1500+MB of RAM usage, which is clearly nonsense in terms of "memory usage".

chickengirl
August 18th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Right now my Firefox (2.0 beta 1) is using 196.2 MiB Virtual Memory and 76.4 MiB Resident Memory (what's the difference?). I've had it open for a few hours and I have five tabs open.

I just opened Opera and it's using 51.4 MiB Virtual and 25.4 MiB Resident.

I think Opera is the shiznit, but I can't use it as my primary browser until it has all the features available that Firefox does (via extensions) that I need.

Polygon
August 19th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Wake me when Opera is open source and I'll give it another try. Until then, meh. :)

opera made it so that opera was the defualt browser, even though i set it to firefox. and when i uninstalled opera, now links in gaim and irc open in like the console with a text based web reader. goodie.

and firefox is only using 60 mb right now, with a bunch of extensions installed. no problems here...