PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can't get a stable gnome-shell

bhosada
March 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM
So I installed gnome-shell, all seems good until about a day in, all of a sudden everything becomes unresponsive, I can't click anywhere, I can't press SUPER to get to overlay, the only things I can do is watch the mouse move around, and watch my keyboard capslock light turn on and off as I hit the capslock button... this has happened atleast 3 times to me now. Using the great and almighty (yeah right) nvidia driver, I don't even have access to the virtual terminals, so I switch to those and seeing them fail hit the keys to get back to gnome-shell, now all I get is a black screen, with a moving cursor, nothing else. Only "solution" at this point is to hard reboot the system...

Only specifics I can remember is from the last incident, I was attempting to use the uploader on imageshack, next to "Activities" where gnome-shell shows the foremost program name, it changed to the image uploader title, and then just pretty much locked up. It always happens when I click something and need something to come to front.

Ubuntu: 12.10
Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic
Arch: x86_64
Nvidia: 310.14

Frogs Hair
March 21st, 2013, 12:01 AM
Make sure if you have installed any themes they are Gnome 3.6 compatible especially shell themes, but GTK as well. Incompatible shell themes freeze sometimes and the overview, applications and notification don't work properly. Other than that that it may be a hardware problem .

kurt18947
March 21st, 2013, 12:27 AM
I had problems with gnome-shell in 12.10 as well. My problems had to do with suspend/resume, specifically it wouldn't resume. I installed Xfce which seemed better than gnome-shell. Gnome-shell is working well in 13.04 for me to date.

bhosada
March 21st, 2013, 01:11 AM
Make sure if you have installed any themes they are Gnome 3.6 compatible especially shell themes, but GTK as well. Incompatible shell themes freeze sometimes and the overview, applications and notification don't work properly. Other than that that it may be a hardware problem .

I haven't installed any themes, but have installed extensions, weather(neroth) and noa11y; possible culprits?
Doubt it could be hardware, as I also have Windows 7 and OS X installed on this box, and both are perfectly stable.

tancrackers
March 21st, 2013, 03:39 PM
What graphics card(s) do you have? That could be a problem with Gnome Shell and graphics.

bhosada
March 21st, 2013, 08:14 PM
nvidia 8800 GTX

Frogs Hair
March 22nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
I haven't installed any themes, but have installed extensions, weather(neroth) and noa11y; possible culprits?
Doubt it could be hardware, as I also have Windows 7 and OS X installed on this box, and both are perfectly stable.

Try disabling the extensions as a test. I run an 8 series Nvidia card with the 304 experimental driver and have no problems on my W7 dual boot.
Desktops include Unity, Gnome Shell, and XFCE session.