PDA

View Full Version : I can finaly get rid of my mp3's

Cheesemill
March 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Ever since I started ripping my CD's into FLAC files I've had to also keep an MP3 version of all my files as well for various devices that couldn't read anything else.
The number of devices I have that won't read FLAC files has been slowly decreasing over the years, and I've finally replaced the last one, my car.

The car stereo in my new VW Up! will take a micro SD card for audio storage, and best of all it supports FLAC as well as MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis and AAC :)

All I can say is thumbs up to VW for allowing me to finally get rid of my MP3 files, I'll wait until I've taken delivery next week to check out how well it handles FLAC tags (it only mentions iD3 tags in the manual) but I should soon be MP3 free.

I'll post an update next week but in the meantime, what devices do you own that you wish had support for files other than MP3 ?

mamamia88
March 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM
An all flac library would be great imo but it's not about to happen any time soon. For the main reason that it's not very optimized for portable devices yet and that's how I listen to the majority of my music. Ipod classic is probably the only device that would come close to holding my entire collection and that is hard drive based. One drop of that and I'm done. Though to be fair I've dropped portable harddrives before and they still worked. I actually just deleted all my flacs after converting them to >250 kbps mp3s. If amazon starts selling them in the future and gives me a copy of all the mp3 songs i bought in flac then I'd consider doing it. Seeing how nobody wants cds anymore and they go for dirt cheap on ebay etc it wouldn't be that expensive.

Sam Mills
March 21st, 2013, 03:19 AM
MP3's are still good for me. I have no desire to get rid of them. I don't have any audiophile level equipment to take advantage of the better sound quality of FLAC.

carla2013
March 21st, 2013, 11:39 AM
I'm on the same page with Sam Mills. Good thinking!

Roasted
March 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
I find it's easier to work with FLAC and convert what I need to MP3 instead of settling for MP3 on everything to boot. My 2c.

mike acker
March 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Ever since I started ripping my CD's into FLAC files I've had to also keep an MP3 version of all my files as well for various devices that couldn't read anything else.
The number of devices I have that won't read FLAC files has been slowly decreasing over the years, and I've finally replaced the last one, my car.

The car stereo in my new VW Up! will take a micro SD card for audio storage, and best of all it supports FLAC as well as MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis and AAC :)

All I can say is thumbs up to VW for allowing me to finally get rid of my MP3 files, I'll wait until I've taken delivery next week to check out how well it handles FLAC tags (it only mentions iD3 tags in the manual) but I should soon be MP3 free.

I'll post an update next week but in the meantime, what devices do you own that you wish had support for files other than MP3 ?

+1
i don't allow any mp3 anywhere

BrokenKingpin
March 22nd, 2013, 06:05 PM
All MP3s here... they sound good enough to me, and don't care about the licensing crap with MP3s. They work for me, so I will keep using them.

Jonor
March 22nd, 2013, 10:36 PM
Maybe when my system is a lot faster with fully utilized usb3, i'll move up to FLAC standard, until then my external backups would take more than one hour.

HermanAB
March 23rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
I encoded all my CDs to ogg years ago, but nowadays I only use streamtuner. There are so many stations that listening to my own CDs is a hassle. The only place I play MP3s is in my car and those were ripped by streamripper. So my old collection on HDD is gathering dust somewhere in a junk bin.

nothingspecial
March 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I never listen to my ripped music collection either. I listen to the radio or spotify. If I really like an album I'll buy a vinyl copy and play that.

mike acker
March 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Maybe when my system is a lot faster with fully utilized usb3, i'll move up to FLAC standard, until then my external backups would take more than one hour.

i solved that nasty problem i put a 2d SATA HD in my box . I'm thinking about adding a 3d

goldshirt9
March 24th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I use an ipod so flac is out.windows phone again so flac is out. kindle fire hd again again so flac is out
son / daughter has blackberry phones so flac is out.
Wife has ipod touch so flac is out. samsung galaxy phone sp flac is out
so why have flac.
.I get what i can and re-encode when i have to. I do have flac for the pc though and use foobar to play it.
whether i can tell the difference i have no idea.
When more music ' phones play it then i would embrace it to the fullest but as yet no thanks

Jonor
March 25th, 2013, 11:47 PM
i solved that nasty problem i put a 2d SATA HD in my box . I'm thinking about adding a 3d

Going to put further drives in my box too, but having some more physically separated backup seems worth the trouble to me.
My music tracks are not high value material :) but they took a long time to amass.

HermanAB
March 26th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Once you hit middle age, your hearing deteriorates, so I don't see why to bother with flac - I certainly cannot hear any diff between flac and mp3 or ogg. Since all my toys can play mp3, some can play ogg and none play flac, the choice is obvious.