Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
libgexiv2-0 shotwell
The following packages will be upgraded:
libgexiv2-1 libperl-dev libperl5.14 perl perl-base perl-modules
6 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 12.3 MB of archives.

And I can't get it back:

apt-get install shotwell
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
shotwell : Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not installable
Depends: libgstreamer1.0-0 (>= 1.0.0) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

schragge
March 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Judging from the libgstreamer version it tries to install, you're running raring, right? Or are you trying to install the latest shotwell from the Yorba PPA (https://launchpad.net/%7Eyorba/+archive/ppa) on an older Ubuntu release?

rabicula
March 20th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hello,
I am not using raring, it is a regular precise LTS,
Please find bellow the distrib and kernel versions:

~ # cat /etc/*-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="12.04.2 LTS, Precise Pangolin"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu precise (12.04.2 LTS)"
VERSION_ID="12.04"
~ # uname -r
3.2.0-36-generic

I did try to use the yorba ppa but that was after the dist-upgrade did remove shotwell. yorba PPA gave me the exact same results :(

schragge
March 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Disable the Yorba PPA in your software sources, then try to install shotwell again (shotwell from the precise repository shouldn't depend on libgstreamer1.0 as it depends on libgstreamer0.10):

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install shotwell

NB. This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but you might want to upgrade to a newer kernel as described at Kernel/LTSEnablementStack.

eric-yorba
March 20th, 2013, 06:35 PM
FYI, if you're going to install Shotwell from our PPA, you also have to add ppa:gstreamer-developers/ppa

andan
March 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Got the exactly same issue today, since I'm not interested in adding PPA, it is there a workaround to have Shotwell installable from USC? Spent quite a lot time to organize my whole photo collection for Shotwell and I dont wanna search for new photo organizer.

eric-yorba
March 21st, 2013, 01:40 AM
Got the exactly same issue today, since I'm not interested in adding PPA, it is there a workaround to have Shotwell installable from USC? Spent quite a lot time to organize my whole photo collection for Shotwell and I dont wanna search for new photo organizer.

How did you run into this issue without adding a PPA?

tgalati4
March 21st, 2013, 01:47 AM
What was the reason that you used dist-upgrade instead of upgrade with apt-get?

cometdog
March 21st, 2013, 02:38 AM
FYI, if you're going to install Shotwell from our PPA, you also have to add ppa:gstreamer-developers/ppa

Thank you! This solved my problem when trying to install 0.14 from the ppa:yorba/ppa repository today on Precise.

This should probably be noted somewhere on the Ubuntu installation instructions here
http://yorba.org/shotwell/install.html

eric-yorba
March 21st, 2013, 02:49 AM
Thank you! This solved my problem when trying to install 0.14 from the ppa:yorba/ppa repository today on Precise.

This should probably be noted somewhere on the Ubuntu installation instructions here
http://yorba.org/shotwell/install.html

Good catch!

I think we'll just copy the required GStreamer 1.0 packages into our own PPA and save Precise users a step.

andan
March 22nd, 2013, 10:46 AM
How did you run into this issue without adding a PPA?

Regular apt-get update and upgrade command resulted in deleting Shotwell, when trying to re install using USC, it didin't work, however it worked today after last regular ubuntu update and I have Shotwell 0.14.0 installed.

linfidel
March 28th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I recently lost Shotwell in 12.04 too, doing the regular update when prompted by the update manager. I do remember seeing that it was going to remove shotwell, but I didn't really think about it too much at the time, and didn't really know why.

But I had no problem reinstalling it today (0.14.0) and it remembers my folders and tags. But it's a bit rude of the installer to remove it like that.