PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Ubuntu Gnome to Mint Gnome

MARP1961
March 19th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I have been trying to get a Gnome Shell Ubuntu based distro set up for a long while now. I installed Ubuntu 12.10 and stripped out Unity but found I had to change other things to get a more vanilla Gnome experience. The emphasis on Unity and the awful Ambiance and Radiance themes along with the tedious browns and purples was still evident however. What about Linux Mint I thought?

I installed a fresh Linux Mint 14 and got rid of the Cinnamon desktop and installed Gnome Shell with some choice extensions. It looks beautiful. Now for a question: Why does my laptop no longer run hot when playing full screen YouTube videos? I have always run Ubuntu with Gnome Shell but CPU temperatures typically reached 85. Now with the same thing running it is about 45.

Cheesemill
March 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM
This isn't an answer to your question but is there any reason you didn't just use the Gnome version of Ubuntu to install your system to start with instead of adding gnome-shell and removing the DE from a different distro?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

MARP1961
March 19th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I have tried Ubuntu Gnome Remix but am growing tired of Ubuntu branding colours.