PDA

View Full Version : Rename files to match folder name

mafi127
March 18th, 2013, 05:25 AM
I have around 80 folders. I need to rename *.iso files in the folders to match the folder name in the first place. eg.

folder/this.is.thefolder./ax.iso
folder/some.another.folder/ai.iso
folder/new.name/lks.iso

What I want to do is rename all the iso files in the folders to match the first folder name. like

folder/this.is.thefolder./this.is.thefolder.iso
folder/some.another.folder/some.another.folder.iso
folder/new.name/new.name.iso

ofnuts
March 18th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I have around 80 folders. I need to rename *.iso files in the folders to match the folder name in the first place. eg.

folder/this.is.thefolder./ax.iso
folder/some.another.folder/ai.iso
folder/new.name/lks.iso

What I want to do is rename all the iso files in the folders to match the first folder name. like

folder/this.is.thefolder./this.is.thefolder.iso
folder/some.another.folder/some.another.folder.iso
folder/new.name/new.name.iso
The basename and dirname commands are your friends:

# assuming $f is a path to your file
dirpath=$(dirname f)
dirname=$(basename $dirpath)
mv $f $dirpath/$dirname.iso

The complete über-one-liner is left as an exercise for the reader :)

schragge
March 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Provided that you have no more than one ISO image in each subfolder, here is the one-liner, even three of them:

rename -vn 's:(/[^/]*)/[^/]*$:$1$1.iso:' folder/*/*.iso

for f in folder/*/*.iso;do dn="${f%/*}";echo mv -v "$f" "${dn}/${dn##*/}.iso";done

find folder/* -maxdepth 0 -type d -execdir sh -c 'test -f "$0"/*.iso"&&echo mv -v "$0"/*.iso "$0/${0##*/}.iso"' '{}' \; The red parts are for testing purposes, remove them when you're sure it works as advertised. The last one is slightly more safe: if there are several .iso files in a subfolder then test -f $0/*.iso will abort with an error message as it expects just one argument.

TheFu
March 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
If you can guaranty that none of the folders/files have spaces in the names, this is an easy script. If not, I'd run a "rename" script to replace all spaces with _ characters before starting.

The Advanced Bash Scripting Guide (google it) will help you learn to create simple scripts like this.

- give a man a fish ... teach a man to fish ....

schragge
March 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
@TheFu. You're right. I've edited the scripts and added quoting.

mafi127
March 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Thank you all for fast answer. got it working for now :)

Vaphell
March 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM
ls folder/*/*.iso|xargs -rd\\n rename -vn 's:(/[^/]*)/[^/]*$:$1$1.iso:'

while these would work with common charsets used in file names, what happens when you put newline in the filename? It's a legit extX char after all (only \0 and / are excluded)
To develop a 100% solid solution you need to either use builtin globs directly (without transforming them via pipes, it leads to information degradation), or use commands supporting \0 as a delimiter (find -print0, grep -Z, sort -z, ...) and while read -rd $'\0' their output (or maybe xargs with -0 or whatever)

besides wouldn't
rename -v '...' folder/*/*.iso work much better?

schragge
March 18th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Yes, you're right of couse. Somehow, I didn't think of the most obvious solution: using shell globs directly in the file argument of rename. I've changed the first command as you suggested. Thanks.

As I recall now, I was thinking along the lines that if some of the subfolders don't contain .iso files at all then ls would skip them giving an error message on the standard error, but the files in other subfolders still would be renamed.

Now I see this would also work with the perl rename script alone as only those subfolders that contain .iso files get expanded by shell globbing. Moreover, even if no subfolders contained .iso files and shell globbing yielded folder/*/*.iso as a literal file name, rename would happily skip over file name it cannot find.